Sign in with
Your question

12go of ram - Windows 7 says I have 8go ??

Last response: in Memory
September 21, 2010 8:25:27 PM

I bought a brand new DELL Studio 9100 couple weeks ago. Spec are:

I7 930
6 GB ram DDR3 - pc10600 - 1333 (Hynix)
ATI Radeon 5870

Last week, I bought a 6gb ram set from Mushkin (2 gb X 3). The spec on this ram is identical as the ram I had on my machine originaly. But the Mushkin ended up not working with the original Hynix memory.

So I ordered and installed another 6go set of Mushkin ram. So now I'm running 12go Mushkin only. Computer works fine now.

Only issue is: Bios detect the 12go of ram, but just under, it says it's running on 8go only. I looked around the Bios for possible tweek but can't find anything... I went in msconfig to make sure that the "max memory" box was not ON...

System control panel only show 8go of ram...

Weird thing is that CPU-Z detect the 12go.

You guys have any idea what could be wrong?

Dell has a tendency to limit the tweekability of their Bios so I don't have too many thing to play with here...

THX for the help!

More about : 12go ram windows 8go

a b } Memory
September 21, 2010 11:49:27 PM

Could very well be your motherboard causing the problem. WHich motherboard is it? and do they have a limit?
m
l
September 22, 2010 2:21:30 AM

I just called Dell support, did all sort of test on the phone... can't beleive what he ended up telling me: That my version of windows don't support more than 8gb. ??? I have Windows 7 Home Premium and it clearly says on microsoft webside that Home premium 64 can operate up to 16gb !! I should've check while I was on the phone with him... I knew that was wrong....

Now as far as motherboard, didn't really knew what kind I had! Here's what I found out:

Dell - Model 05DN3X
Chipset - Intel X58 - Rev 13

Bios: Dell - Version A02
date 5-26-2010

m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
September 22, 2010 5:33:30 AM

lckeed said:
I just called Dell support, did all sort of test on the phone... can't beleive what he ended up telling me: That my version of windows don't support more than 8gb. ??? I have Windows 7 Home Premium and it clearly says on microsoft webside that Home premium 64 can operate up to 16gb !! I should've check while I was on the phone with him... I knew that was wrong....

Now as far as motherboard, didn't really knew what kind I had! Here's what I found out:

Dell - Model 05DN3X
Chipset - Intel X58 - Rev 13

Bios: Dell - Version A02
date 5-26-2010

Oddly enough he could be right. Some dells (and other computers) are shipped with a cheaper, stripped version of Windows 7. This version (Home Basic) is rarer and in many cases actually labeled Home Premium does in fact have a 8gb cap on its 64-bit version.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 5:53:58 AM

^ Didn't you just post this?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

Windows 7 Home Premium
32-bit = 4 GB
64-bit = 16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
32-bit = 4 GB
64-bit =8 GB

Do (2) things to test
1. Install CPUz - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html {look at the findings}
2. Run 1-2 hours of Memtest86+ {use ISO/zip make bootable CD} - http://www.memtest.org/ {see if there's any errors}

As I said email mushkin.

BTW - Used the Dell online configuration and tried to max-out DDR w/Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English [Included in Price] -> {produced this message}

The Operating System you have selected does not support greater than 16GB of Memory. Please click on the highlighted links to change your selection.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 22, 2010 6:31:07 AM

eeeeeexactly, jaquith. (except I got my info from wikipedia) *hanging my head in shame*
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 6:32:30 AM

Puffffffffff
m
l
September 22, 2010 12:21:23 PM

I started this new thread because the problem was different, now I got this issue handled on 2 different thread!

Just played with the dimms for over an hour... changed the order, tried different location, grouped differently and at best, I was able to run it on 10gb of ram with just 1 dimm out. The system detect the 12gb, it just don't want to operate with 12gb. At one point I had 8 gb installed using 4 slots, and the system would've used only 4gb acording to the bios... This is just weird...

Worst part is, I just think it's a tweek somewhere because I know each ram module is working...

At least, this is the proof that my version of windows can handle more than 8gb...!

m
l
September 22, 2010 12:27:58 PM

Also, when shopping around for my pc, I played a lot with the Dell configurator and I hesitated a long time between getting 12gb of ram directly installed from Dell or doing what I ended up doing, purchasing the aditionnal 6gb in store/on-line. But, one thing I checked was that when you choosed 12gb in the configurator, Windows version and all components stayed the same. I wanted to make sure that if I purshased the 6gb, that I would be able to add it without issues...
m
l
a b } Memory
September 22, 2010 8:57:37 PM

Well.. to the "average" user it's the same thing. Dell doesn't think the "average user" will ever upgrade past 8gb
m
l
!