Sign in with
Your question

Just need to pick a card..

Last response: in Components
April 20, 2010 11:54:30 AM

I'm just looking for opinions on which wireless pci card/usb adapter to pick out of this list. Any personal experiences or views would be great.

It's either one of those, or a D-Link DWA-547 300mbps pci card for twice the price ($90).

More about : pick card

April 20, 2010 6:42:41 PM

I'd go for the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter if you only need 802.11 b/g. I would not get the Dlink because all though it does support N, not at 5.8Ghz. For that price you could get a nice USB adapter that has both 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz radios.

This one has N and has the same chipset as the D-Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ..... I'd get it.
m
l
April 20, 2010 9:50:28 PM

Thanks for the help rdc363. I probably should have been more specific in my question, since I don't really understand the whole 802.11..etc.

I'm going to be running Windows 7 64bit, not too far from my router, which by the way is a Netcomm NB5plus4W, 54mbps, so obviously, I don't need anything over that speed. What I am really looking for is something that is quite reliable, runs on 64bit Win7, and has a decent range. I read a few ratings on the WMP54G and it seems to drop out a fair bit.

Anyone else have any input?
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2010 10:03:19 PM

It depends on which one you get. The one with the Ralink chipset is superb.
m
l
April 20, 2010 10:12:50 PM

Why does it need to have a decent range if your not going to be too far from the router? Linksys are the Cadillac card to buy for home networking. If you don't want to go that route the $22 card is the only real alternative on your list, it might have 7 drivers. The D-Link is way overkill.
m
l
April 21, 2010 10:14:11 AM

Thanks for the input, I ordered the WMP54G. Hope it will work when I get it all together :) 

@ MISRy, I think we have different definitions of 'decent'. My definition is relative to how far I said I was from the router. My last wireless card let me go about 4m away.
m
l
!