Sign in with
Your question

Need a motherboard replacement suggestion.

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2010 1:35:39 PM

I can't take it anymore; The failure to post, the constant lockups. Here is my current stats:

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R
Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16
Zalman CNPS9500 AT
4x2gb OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333
ATI Radeon 4870 1gb

As I stated at the start, I am constantly stricken with a complete lockup of my system - audio goes nuts, screen becomes colored static and my USB components become unpowered - and the system will hang like this until powered off. Other times, it will refuse to boot. It won't post to BIOS OR it will enter BIOS and choose to lockup randomly at various stages of initiation.

All I'm looking for is a viable motherboard replacement that will fit all the other components that I currently have in possession. Thanks for reading and any assistance you can provide.

Edit: spelling mistakes
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 2:14:58 PM

Budget?

To be honest, I wouldn't be replacing anything in a LGA775 build right now. I'd start looking to upgrade the entire build to either the AM3 socket or the LGA1156 socket. So at least a new CPU, mobo and RAM.

A decent AM3 build starts at about $275, with the best one being $450. An LGA1556 (i5-750) starts at around $500.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 2:20:07 PM

I'm not convinced it's a faulty motherboard. Have you manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors? Running a system with all the RAM slots filled can cause issues. You may even need to bump up the RAM & Northbridge voltages a notch for stability. Have you tried getting the system stable with just two sticks of RAM?

What power supply do you have? A POS PSU can also cause all sorts of stability issues.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2010 2:33:53 PM

Well I hadn't wanted to do much else (with this machine) as I was planning on doing a laptop upgrade relatively soon and new pc build next year - but if you think its a waste, then I'll suck it up and look to upgrade the whole deal.
m
l
February 12, 2010 2:36:11 PM

It is a waste.

And I would definitely do all of the troubleshooting shortstuff recommends before you commit to spending the money. That could fix the problem.
m
l
February 12, 2010 2:43:58 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I'm not convinced it's a faulty motherboard. Have you manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors? Running a system with all the RAM slots filled can cause issues. You may even need to bump up the RAM & Northbridge voltages a notch for stability. Have you tried getting the system stable with just two sticks of RAM?

What power supply do you have? A POS PSU can also cause all sorts of stability issues.

Don't get me wrong. I have given a lot of time into trying to fix this issue. I had to manually set all the specs for the RAM because the BIOS was not assigning them correctly. I've run Memtest and received no errors.

But now that you mention it, it may be related to having all four sticks in. When I first built the system, only two sticks had come so I ran for maybe a month or two while waiting for the others. I can't recall if I was facing the issue at that time. It's just been so long that I suppose I forgot that detail.
m
l
February 12, 2010 2:49:57 PM

You might need to bump up the voltages on the RAM while running 4 sticks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2010 2:50:00 PM

What do you use this system for? 8GB gives you no improvement in gaming over 4GB. I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit OS so the system has access to all the RAM, right? Either way, I would certainly try removing two sticks of RAM. I'm willing to wager the system will be much more stable then.
m
l
!