Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7, A-DATA ram, Gigabyte board - performance question

Last response: in Memory
September 21, 2010 10:53:47 PM

When looking at the Windows experience index, about every 3 reboot it claims that hardware has been changed and it needs to update the score, when this happens it changes the RAM score from 7.5 to 5.5 only 3 reboots later it changes it back from 5.5 to 7.5?

See this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295438-31-results-machine thread for some CPU-Z results of the machine.

The RAM is A-DATA DDR3-1600G, CL: 9-9-9-24, Voltage 1.55v~1.75V, AX3U1600GB2G9-BG

Also the task manager shows the physical memory usage at 55% since it is only using 2 GB of the 6 GB installed. See screenshoots:

Questions:
1) Is it normal for windows 7 to constantly change it's index score for the RAM from 7.5 to 5.5?
2) Is it normal for windows task manager to show 2 GB available when 6 GB are installed, with 4 GB reserved by hardware?

FYI: I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Thanks,
David
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2010 11:31:18 PM

What MOBO? {going to assume DDR is incompatible or misconfiguration}
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 12:01:10 AM

^ I Posted all sorts of CPUz errors, especially RAM - that others missed.

GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

DDR = Not Certified

http://www.adata-group.com/index.php?action=ss_main&pag...
AD3U1066B1G7
AD3U1066B2G7
AD3U1333B1G9
AD3U1333B2G9

DDR = Not Tested

Conclusion, RMA A-DATA for either Certified {XMP} or Tested {non-XMP} DDR.

BTW - I had to RMA (10) GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) MOBO's with Shutdown Failure/BSOD with SSD + RAID problems. It's fantastic on paper.

You "may" want to udated BIOS to FB, but don't use ANY utilities. In addition, if you curretly have ANY GA Utility installed then I'd strongly recommend uninstalling.

BIOS FB:
Enhance CPU, DDR, PCIex16/x8 compatibility
USB3.0 chip legacy support
Enhanced SATA3 RAID mode
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:14:48 AM

So my A-DATA ram might not be compatible? I have AX3U1600GB2G9-BG , the Gigabyte website lists AX3U1600GB2G9-AG as tested. Cyberpower carries Corsair Dominator and Kingston HyperX ram as options, would these be better?

The sevenforums thread author appears to have fixed a similar problem to mine by replacing both the RAM and motherboard. Although he did extensive testing before arriving at that fix. So far I have not changed anything from how the computer arrived from Cyberpower other than install a few programs.

-David
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:39:25 AM

Seems like enabling memory remapping in the bios(assuming this option is available) and making sure that max memory is unchecked in msconfig, boot, advanced options - might be the ticket for accessing the 4GB of ram listed as hardware reserved???

-David
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 1:44:01 AM

dtenney said:
So my A-DATA ram might not be compatible

Now I'm turned around - KEEP the DDR "A" {whichever it is} that in on the GA Certified list, and return/exchange the other DDR "B" {not on any list} for more of the same DDR "A".
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 1:46:04 AM

dtenney said:
Seems like enabling memory remapping in the bios(assuming this option is available) and making sure that max memory is unchecked in msconfig, boot, advanced options - might be the ticket for accessing the 4GB of ram listed as hardware reserved???

If you have PARTITIONED you HDD that can also cause the H/W Reserve. The typical solution is to REFORMAT the HDD with NO partitions and reinstall the OS.
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:57:54 AM

jaquith said:
Now I'm turned around - KEEP the DDR "A" {whichever it is} that in on the GA Certified list, and return/exchange the other DDR "B" {not on any list} for more of the same DDR "A".

All of the RAM installed in the computer is (3 x 2GB) of A-DATA - AX3U1600GB2G9-BG, sounds like you recommend swapping the BG for the AG listed as tested.

jaquith said:
If you have PARTITIONED you HDD that can also cause the H/W Reserve. The typical solution is to REFORMAT the HDD with NO partitions and reinstall the OS.

The OS drive is a 80GB Corsair Force SSD drive, with a second WD 1TB drive for storage. I have not partitioned the drives from how they came from Cyberpower.

This is thread where I got the idea to try the bios memory remap? http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/6720-installed-memory-ram-4gb-2-94gb-usable.html

-David
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 2:05:17 AM

Try this - shutdown and unplug the HDD and restart, post back if the H/W reserve is fixed, and if not keep disconnected and Clear CMOS.
m
l
September 22, 2010 2:33:02 AM

jaquith said:
Try this - shutdown and unplug the HDD and restart, post back if the H/W reserve is fixed, and if not keep disconnected and Clear CMOS.

Unplug the SSD main OS drive or the WD storage drive? Assuming the WD storage drive as restart would not be possible with the SSD drive unplugged.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 2:57:05 AM

Storage HDD. I realize the OS is SSD.
m
l
September 22, 2010 12:19:55 PM

Cold booted computer this morning and full memory was found see below:

Planning to upgrade to FB bios and check bios settings. The msconfig setting for max memory was already unchecked.

-David
m
l
September 22, 2010 8:38:24 PM

Updated to FB bios this morning, so far working well, computer is recognizing and making available all installed RAM
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 8:57:58 PM

^ I assume the image { 09-22-2010 at 08:19:55 AM } was w/FA - but it shows only 2 MB H/W reserved = normal.

So, I can wrap my mind around this, there are several solutions - which (1) or more worked?

Glad to hear rigs good!
m
l
September 22, 2010 10:40:44 PM

jaquith said:
^ I assume the image { 09-22-2010 at 08:19:55 AM } was w/FA - but it shows only 2 MB H/W reserved = normal.

So, I can wrap my mind around this, there are several solutions - which (1) or more worked?

Glad to hear rigs good!

Yes, the image above was w/ FA and looks the same as with the currently installed FB. Only difference is so far....knock on wood.....the machine has not "lost" 4 GB of RAM this afternoon after using it all day. The three previous days it would lose the RAM by this time. Any tests that I should run to further verify the problem is fixed? Prime95, Memtest???

Assuming it is fixed, then the FB bios update was the fix
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 10:44:51 PM

^ Do you or did you have Virtualization {Enabled} in the BIOS? If not or not needed then keep it that way. There are a bunch of setting/configurations that can cause the "loss" RAM. Virtualization is just another 1 of X reasons.

Good Luck!
m
l
September 23, 2010 1:05:51 PM

jaquith said:
^ Do you or did you have Virtualization {Enabled} in the BIOS? If not or not needed then keep it that way. There are a bunch of setting/configurations that can cause the "loss" RAM. Virtualization is just another 1 of X reasons.

Good Luck!

Did not see a virtualization option in the bios. However, after installing a few programs yesterday afternoon I got the BSOD this morning on startup, after 3 failed starts, windows entered a repair mode where it allowed me to restore to an earlier point yesterday. Thinking I need to post the minidump files up for someone to look at, as the computer is working normally right now.

-David
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 2:17:17 PM

Change Advanced CPU Features | Virtualization {Disabled} - it is on the bottom of BIOS screen.

As stated above, BTW - I had to RMA {return} (10) GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) MOBO's with Shutdown Failure/BSOD with SSD + RAID problems. It's fantastic on paper. The combination of SSD + HDD {any flavor} seems to make the UD3R/UD5 unstable; tons of reported issues and GA confirmed issue. see - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...
^ Test by disconnecting all but your SSD; simply unplug the HDD(s), restart a few times and see if the problems clears up - if it does it confirms your MOBO.

Q - Are you certain that you are NOT running any Gigabyte Utility "RAM score from 7.5 to 5.5 only 3 reboots later it changes it back from 5.5 to 7.5"

Also, I assume that BIOS is Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) {Disabled}.
m
l
September 23, 2010 3:03:06 PM

1) Found the Virtualization setting it was set to enable, I changed that to disabled.
2) If I have another BSOD will try unplugging the storage HDD
3) Only Gigabyte utility I see in add/remove programs is "Gigabyte ON_OFF Charge version B10.0422.2" which apparently is used to charge Iphone, Ipod, etc... Should I uninstall this?
4) I could not find the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) in the bios, I did find eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) it was set to disable.

Also curious why my RAM memory shows a 1066mHz clock when it is 1600mHz RAM?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 3:18:02 PM

(3) No that's one of the okay to have drivers/utilities.
(4) Advanced DRAM Features | Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) {Disable} - by default it is but with unsupported {non GA Certified listed} DDDR you'll get BSOD/Post Failures/Unstable system.

Regarding you're RAM, you'll need to manually set all the timings, and memory multiplier {default MM = 8 or Round Down (BCLK X MM) <=> 133.33 MHz X 8 = 1066 MHz ; 133.33 X 12 = 1600 MHz } and each DDR needs to be set with the 9-9-9-24 {there's a auto-populate way}. Refer to the manual pg 44 -47.
m
l
September 23, 2010 3:52:57 PM

jaquith said:

(4) Advanced DRAM Features | Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) {Disable} - by default it is but with unsupported {non GA Certified listed} DDDR you'll get BSOD/Post Failures/Unstable system.

In Bios, under Memory(RAM), I found a Performance Enhance setting, the options were Standard, Turbo, Extreme. Currently the setting is Turbo.

-David
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 4:27:25 PM

^ (4) -> Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) {Disable}

1. System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto] -> 12
2. DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto] -> Quick
3. Channel {A-C} Timing Settings -> enter timings 9-9-9-24

Note the MOBO on-board lights will turn-on {off now} but it is nothing to be concerned about uless they're all red {see manual}.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 5:17:29 PM

^ Yeah, and they're doing as I did and recommended exchange for a ASUS P6X58D-E.

As stated above, "The combination of SSD + HDD {any flavor} seems to make the UD3R/UD5 unstable"

BTW - if this is a Cyberpower PC just send it back and pay the few buck more for the ASUS; they will either do it for you or send you a replacement MOBO {credit-hold} and do it yourself.
m
l
September 23, 2010 5:57:08 PM

jaquith said:
^ Yeah, and they're doing as I did and recommended exchange for a ASUS P6X58D-E.

As stated above, "The combination of SSD + HDD {any flavor} seems to make the UD3R/UD5 unstable"

BTW - if this is a Cyberpower PC just send it back and pay the few buck more for the ASUS; they will either do it for you or send you a replacement MOBO {credit-hold} and do it yourself.

Yes, this is a Cyberpower machine.
m
l
September 23, 2010 6:08:37 PM

Memory after RAM adjustments in BIOS

That change also bumped up the Windows Experience Index score from 7.5 to 7.8 on the RAM.
m
l
September 23, 2010 7:29:04 PM

Do I need to increase my RAM voltage in BIOS given, it appears currently to be set at 1.5V and the RAM modules read?

The RAM is A-DATA DDR3-1600G, CL: 9-9-9-24, Voltage 1.55v~1.75V, AX3U1600GB2G9-BG

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 1:32:13 AM

Sorry - been away all day. OMG it's like easter egg hunt to verify settings. A-DATA loves ranges of Voltage. And yes, ideally then 1600 MHz typically works nominally @ 1.6V therefore change the DRAM Voltage to 1.6V.

Next, D/L and create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+ and run for 2 hours. Use the {ISO/zip}/latest version - http://www.memtest.org/

Good Luck and CPUz looks correct; if you have an issue change (CR) to 2T.
m
l
September 24, 2010 12:36:26 PM

1st cold start this morning - BSOD
2nd cold start - disconnected the 1 TB drive, then started computer, this worked, as the computer booted into W7 normally.

I am thinking about trying the FC1 bios??
m
l
September 24, 2010 2:05:37 PM

Updated to FC1 bios:

1st cold boot - everything looked good, boot into windows, no BSOD, but as soon as I clicked the mouse to start Google Chrome the entire computer shutoff, as though someone pulled the power cord out of the wall.

2nd cold boot - disconnected the 1 TB storage drive and everything worked perfect.

I guess we are back to "The combination of SSD + HDD {any flavor} seems to make the UD3R/UD5 unstable"

-David
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 2:08:30 PM

^ Again, the GA-X58A-UD3R has a known issue with SSD + HDD; I believe this to be a hardware implementation {GA / Intel SATA Controller issue} you're one of many with this similar issue and disconnecting the HDD only CONFIRMS the problem!

BIOS {I don't see FC1 listed} http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 3:11:13 PM

^ NEVER get a BIOS from any site other than the OEM site. GA will list all available BIOS including Beta BIOS. I looked and my best assumption is that is not for your MOBO and is a typo. BIOS is a fickle thing, thankfully you MOBO has a back-up BIOS chip.

OEM GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

Using that same link, GA did indeed post the pre-FB beta prior to the final FB.
m
l
September 24, 2010 4:01:47 PM

Okay, further testing has shown on the first cold boot the computer will crash like someone pulled the power cord with the 1 TB HDD plugged in or unplugged.

I can open my computer and resource monitor fine, but when I click on Google Chrome it instantly dies.

2nd boot the computer works perfect.

-David
m
l

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 5:07:17 PM

Again, open this link {seem familiar??} - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r...

NO FIX! Replace MOBO like I recommended ASUS P6X58D-E - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB
It only lacks a rear eSATA,but works damn good.

Alternative, move the HDD to GSATA3_6/7 {verify Marvell Console Driver (SATA3) driver is installed first or reinstall to be safe} - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278015-30-mobo-ideal-...

SSD = GSATA3_6
HDD = GSATA3_7

Let me know.
September 24, 2010 5:24:10 PM

Ok, will try that Monday morning, although I may have to finally call cyberpower and or get an asus board
m
l
September 30, 2010 10:00:28 PM

Finally followed your advice, new RAM and MOBO on the way.
m
l
October 7, 2010 10:47:49 PM

installed new Kingston HyperX ram and that appears to stabilize the cold boots, although I still decide to swap the motherboard for your recommendation above.
m
l
October 8, 2010 12:45:41 AM

Best answer selected by dtenney.
m
l
!