Hi^_^ How do I lower my vcore? CPU overheating...(solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

lend82

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Everyone^_^
I have an Athlon II X4 620 cpu, which is on a BIOSTAR TA785G3HD motherboard. From a browse of internet posts that contained similar hardware specifications as My very own, I am VERY blessed to say that My problem of My computer shutting down by itself during sessions of contemporary gaming(read: Quake 4, Battlefield: Bad Company 2)...is due to my cpu overheating. It seems that for My specific cpu, having it reach 35º Celsius is pushing it; but My cpu reaches around 38º C! Hence, My computer shuts down by itself, in the middle of My gaming sessions.

So before I decide on whether I should invest into a 3rd party heatsink/fan or not, I would like to find out how to lower My cpu's vcore. For some reason, it is automatically and permanently set to around 1.4~ volts, according to what AMD Overdrive, CPUID HWMonitor, and CPUID CPU-Z all tell Me.

I have tried to change the volts to a lower setting via AMD Overdrive's sliding bar, which can be found in the "performance" tab, but that seems to have no affect on the vcore setting. I have also tried using My Motherboard Company's supplied Bios Windows XP updater, to see if a new bios will fix this problem; but using that to update my bios gives Me an error of "Bios does not support AFU," as the bios update is initiated...(it looks like dos heeh).

So before I do anything more drastic, as far as going down the road of bios changes or buying a 3rd party HSF; I would like to ask You benevolent Hardware Buffs for Your best advice, as to what possible program I could use to change My vcore from 1.4~volts to something lower, like 1.3~ volts.

And maybe, if You have the time, You may be able to help Me discover why My vcore is permanently set to 1.4~ volts ^_^

Thank You for all of You VERY needed help. Please, have a great day ahead of You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution
clean out the dust in the heatsink of the 4850, and if its a single slot version, then completely disassemble the cooling area and get a childs painting brush and a toothbrush and meticulously clean that sucker, x4 620 is the coolest chip ive ever owned, only way itll give you stress is if its not getting enough power, go to asus website and get turbov, you can check if voltage is at required levels with that, 1.325v, but my old x4 620 never took more than 1.15v even at load, but thouroughly check that 4850, and what psu r u rockin?

lend82

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I've realized an oversight of mine, after I just posted the original post above. The motherboard I am currently using is the ASUS M4A785-M, NOT the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD(which is currently in the closet lololol).

I was using Biostar's bios updater for an Asus motherboard, whew! And I am still posting with a working motherboard, eheh :pt1cable: what a disaster, avoided.... :lol: The Lord is Gewd.

I'm going to use Asus' bios updater right now to attempt to fix my problem of having a permanently set vcore(1.4~ volts). If You folks would still like to help Me, PLEASE feel free to do so!!!

heeh, have a great day Everyone!!!!!!!!

lend82

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Guys^_^
Thank You for all of Your help!!!!

My video card is an ATI hd 4850. The temps of THAT piece of hardware exceeds those of 110º Celsius every time I commence on a gaming session. Which is why, I originally had thought that that was the reason for my computer shutting down by itself.

Maybe I was right in the first place? hehe :cry:

isamuelson

Distinguished
Yeah, 38c is really good under load. I would say 110c on the video card is definitely your problem.

I think you better check if the fan is working on that puppy. Also, are you overclocking it all? If so, I would put it back to stock settings to see if that fixes it.

+1

Cpu temp really good. Heck, my cpu have a hard time reaching that temp in idle yet alone on load. :lol:

Yes 110c on the gpu it certainly a problem like everyone else has said. Check the fan(s), Make sure the card not full of dust, ect

xaira

Distinguished
clean out the dust in the heatsink of the 4850, and if its a single slot version, then completely disassemble the cooling area and get a childs painting brush and a toothbrush and meticulously clean that sucker, x4 620 is the coolest chip ive ever owned, only way itll give you stress is if its not getting enough power, go to asus website and get turbov, you can check if voltage is at required levels with that, 1.325v, but my old x4 620 never took more than 1.15v even at load, but thouroughly check that 4850, and what psu r u rockin?

Solution

lend82

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
O.K. Fellas, You have confirmed what I originally thought the problem is: My GPU rests too closely to My PCIe X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound card, being that they both rest on a Micro ATX motherboard. You may check out screenshots of what I am talking about, here:

The link below provides the exact picture:

Bird's eye view of My motherboard...

(link to motherboard)

=====

I have to ways to solve this problem, 1) Buy an ATX motherboard, to keep the sound card and GPU as far apart as possible...full ATX motherboard...

or, 2) Buy a PCI sound card, to replace My PCIe x-fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card...This happens to be an option I would like to use, because if I simply get a PCI sound card that is good as My x-fi sound card(meaning, a sound card that can produce both OpenAL and EAX 5.0 HD sound); then, I will be able to keep both My micro ATX motherboards, which are the one I am currently using, and the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD that I have in the closet. And using this option, will prevent My having to reinstall Windows and all that jazz, if I go the new motherboard route :bounce: :pt1cable: :lol:

=====

What do You guys think? Find a PCI soundcard which is as good as My PCIe x-fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card to avoid the trouble of wasting the two motherboards I already have, and precious wasting time and effort reinstalling all of my software stuff? Or just get the new, full ATX motherboard and do things the hard way? Oh by the way, I've checked newegg.com and tomshardware.com for a sound card alternative, and have no clue of which one to choose for around $100~...I would definitely appreciate help with that hehe<33333333333333

=====

Thank You guys for everything, have a great day!!!!!!

=====*edit*

Oh, and if You Fellas can point me into a direction of a nice PCI soundcard to use, to salvage My BIOSTAR TA785G3HD, then I will be able to use the pieces I already have(an Athlon II x2 245 cpu), and the aforementioned motherboard; and be able to combine those two with the sound card You Fellas may point Me to, and an extra set of DDR3 ram I must buy...

TO BUILD A FRIEND A NICE SETUP!!!!!!!! :hello: :whistle: :sol: :lol: :pt1cable:

isamuelson

Distinguished
His sound card would be below the video card if you look at the linked pictures.

459251.jpg

The PCIe slot is above the two PCI slots. Since the card takes up two slots with the heat sink/fan, it would cover the first PCI slot. His sound card would be right below the video card with the back of the sound card resting against the top of the heat sink/fan, thereby not allow it to draw air in to help cool it off.

He has a PCI "e" sound card.

lend82

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
HEY GUYS SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, let me answer a few questions of which I did not get around to, earlier:

Xaira: "what psu are you rocking? and can u take a pic?"
I am proudly rocking an OCZ Powerstream 520w "with adjustable power rails." And unfortunately, I cannot take pictures now, as I haven't seen my camera-to-usb cable in months...hahahaha

Delluser1: "What kind of case and fans do you have ? Have you increased the fan speed on the video card ?"
I have 2 80 mm intake fans at the bottom of my case, and one 80 mm exhaust fan right below the powersupply. The case's name is longggg forgotten, hehe :cry:

=====

Now Fellas, I heeded Your wisdom about My very beloved x-fi not being the cause of My card's overheating, and decided to clean out the HD 4850's heatsink/fan. SUCCESS!!!! I was not able to clean the hsf in exactly the way I was instructed to clean it; but I DID remove ALL the dust. The main problem was about 2 ounces of clunked up dust ballz blocking the entrance "wind tunnels" of the hsf, in which the viddie card's fan was supposed to blow in. Due to the dust balls' obstruction, however, the fan was not able to blow into the heatsink!!!!

After I removed these dust ballz, and turned on the viddie card.....(with the hsf plugged into the viddie card's power jack this time around...grrrr, whew!!! The card wouldn't turn on without the fan plugged in hehe go ATI GO GO GO GO GO!!!!! :ouch: ).....I saw the fan blow out all the excess dust that remained inside the heatsink windtunnels itself. The dust literally flew out of the heatsink, into the air, and into a cloud which stood about foot above my computer haahahahhahhaha.

=====

Success: I can now run the "worse" game of which caused my video card to overheat, which the hd 4850 creeping up on 90º celsius - - - a WHOPPING 23º C BELOW 110º-113º C of which it ran video games.

Oh, and if Anyone wants to know how to do that 'lil circle next to the numbers, just hold the "Alt" button, and type on Your keyboard's keypad, "0442" º¿º "alt 0442" "alt 0447" "alt 0442"

Thank YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP, HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

º¿º