Doing Repair Install on XP SP3 when I only have SP0 CD

rainervs

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
My 9-year-old computer died (motherboard). I want to move the drive (it's just fine) to a new machine, with a modern motherboard.

So I need to do a repair install. Fine. But the disk drive is at SP3 level, and the only Windows install CD I have is for SP0. You know, the one that does not understand "large" disk drives (over 137 GB, I think).

I'm worried what the "repair" install of SP0 will do to all my "large" disk drives (1 TB).

Whenever I've tried to produce a slipstream XP disk with the SP1 SP2 updates, the result never works. Can someone point me to instructions that work for creating an updated XP install disk?

Thanks,
Rainer

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Repair the installation using the disc of sane version i.e. XP SP3. If you do not have the same version disc, you can re-install using the whichever disc you have.

ram1009

Distinguished
First of all, your HDD is WAY overdue to be replaced. You can always use the sp0 CD and then update or you can use a program called Nlite to add the sp3 to your disk. It's a process called slipstreaming. Not too difficult.

rainervs

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Thanks for your comments. First, my C: drive was replacd 15 months ago, on general principles (it had not malfunctioned). Second, I had already discovered Nlite through a Google search; it certainly makes the slipstreaming prtoces a WHOLE lot easier!

The only probem I have left ... The repaired C: image needs a whole lot of new drivers for the new motherboard ... and, until it gets those drivers, neither the USB mouse nor the USB keyboard work! Which makes it real hard to answer the questions from the Add New Hardware wizard. :pfff: Really puzzling, though, because the Repair dialog accesses those USB devices just fine. Any thoughts on this?

Rainer

You need to know the make/model of the new motherboard. Go to the manufacturer's web site and find your model and download ALL the drivers for that board. If it has an intel chipset, you may also want to download the newest RST from intel's site. you can download SP3 from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Now slipstream your CD with SP3, intel RST, and all your new motherboard's drivers.