Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newegg sent me CPU w/ bent pins- what do?

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2010 12:46:07 PM

I received my new computer gear from Newegg yesterday (UPS man = Santa Claus for adults!), but my excitement was tempered by the fact that my stuff was thrown in a box with only a scrap of wrapping paper for "padding." At the bottom of the box, underneath my new mobo and PS, lying loose amongst the paper, was my CPU bent pins and all.

I haven't put anything together yet, so my question is- should I send it back to Newegg and ask for another one? Could it be damaged in some way that would not be immediately obvious to a novice?

Oh great and wise intenets, networked oracle of accumulated knowledge, please send me advice on this matter.

More about : newegg cpu bent pins

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 12:52:01 PM

Call them up and tell them, send them the photo's if neccessary, and get it exchanged.

I'm shocked looking at the pictures, I have never received a package from them that used paper filling.
April 20, 2010 1:31:24 PM

I "chatted" newegg and asked for an exchange. They gave me no hassles, but its going to take "up to" 24 hours to get a return label, then

"The RMA processing time is 2-5 business days from when the RMA is received by our RMA department. Once the RMA is processed, we will generate the replacement order and ship it out within approximately 1-2 business days.

So, 1 day to get the tag (I'll send it same day), plus lets say 2 days for travel to them. 2-5 days in the RMA department, 1-2 days to get the replacement together, then 2-3 days back to me. I originally placed my order on April 15th.

They shipped me like crappy monkeys, and now I have to wait an additional 8-13 business days... so what- 3-4 WEEKS to get my order? This is my first time ordering from newegg... maybe I should stick with tigerdirect....

For reference, lets take a moment to imagine what else can be accomplished in 4 weeks....

Day ONE:
I order parts, OR:

End of week FOUR:
I am *maybe* building computer, OR:

Nature VS Newegg- newegg is fail.
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2010 1:31:50 PM

Best answer selected by shultze.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 2:07:45 PM

shultze said:
I "chatted" newegg and asked for an exchange. They gave me no hassles, but its going to take "up to" 24 hours to get a return label

Check your email, they may send it sooner, I usually get it within 5 mins. of a phone conversation.
Don't know your particular situation, I just ask for a refund ( takes several days ) and order another.
m
l
April 22, 2010 5:01:36 PM

shultze said:
I "chatted" newegg and asked for an exchange. They gave me no hassles, but its going to take "up to" 24 hours to get a return label, then

"The RMA processing time is 2-5 business days from when the RMA is received by our RMA department. Once the RMA is processed, we will generate the replacement order and ship it out within approximately 1-2 business days.

So, 1 day to get the tag (I'll send it same day), plus lets say 2 days for travel to them. 2-5 days in the RMA department, 1-2 days to get the replacement together, then 2-3 days back to me. I originally placed my order on April 15th.

They shipped me like crappy monkeys, and now I have to wait an additional 8-13 business days... so what- 3-4 WEEKS to get my order? This is my first time ordering from newegg... maybe I should stick with tigerdirect....

For reference, lets take a moment to imagine what else can be accomplished in 4 weeks....

Dear shultze,

First and foremost, please accept my personal sincere and humble apology for the fact that you received a damaged item. Secondly, I would like you to contact me so I can look into getting you a replacement as quickly as possible.

Please call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or e-mail your information to Joshua.L.Key@newegg.com.

Thank You,
Newegg Support
m
l
April 23, 2010 2:25:43 AM

Newegg_Support said:
Dear shultze,

First and foremost, please accept my personal sincere and humble apology for the fact that you received a damaged item. Secondly, I would like you to contact me so I can look into getting you a replacement as quickly as possible.

Please call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092 or e-mail your information to Joshua.L.Key@newegg.com.

Thank You,
Newegg Support

whoa- definitely did not expect someone from newegg to appear- thanks joshua, I'll email you right now. wow. thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 2:57:17 AM

shultze said:
whoa- definitely did not expect someone from newegg to appear- thanks joshua, I'll email you right now. wow. thanks!

Not to common but companies do watch and comment popular forums like theses every now and then. ;) 
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:55:01 PM

I want to file in the official record of the internets how this was resolved. I emailed Joshua from Newegg and got this response today:

Mr. Shultz,
Thank you for contacting me. I apologize for not seeing your post earlier so you could have had this item by this weekend.
I voided your original rma and generated and Advanced Replacement RMA. What this means is that we will be shipping out the replacement today with UPS Next Day so you can receive it Monday. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Your friend from Newegg,
Joshua Key
Senior Customer Service / Public Image

Assuming that I get the part Monday in good shape, I've got to say that's pretty damn impressive!

It's good to know that some companies are out in the world, actively trying to make their customers happy!

Thanks Newegg (and Joshua)!
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:50:26 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. The OEM packaging for my CPU popped open and the CPU was loose, looking exactly like the pictures. Pins were bent so I straightened them using a credit card. System seems to be working. Over the years I've order many things from Newegg and never had this problem before. Very disappointed with my favorite retailer.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 8, 2010 7:59:37 PM

Neweeg ships from many different facilities some take better care of shipments then others. I order from newegg all the time and most of my parts come from a facility in NJ but I have also gotten parts that came from Texas whereas they packaged the products with less care. Newegg is great company but I think they need to talk to some of their facilities on how they should handle their products better.
m
l
!