Solved

Other Opinions please on a about $850 gaming build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2010 7:31:41 PM

Here is my thread I started a few days ago because I'm really struggling on what to decide on. The thread isnt long, but I just want other opinions. I would like a good gaming computer that I can have for awhile and one that I can possibly expand on and maybe crossfire with. All the info needed is in my link below. (If you have an opinion post to either one but I prefer to be posted on the one below.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

More about : opinions 850 gaming build

February 12, 2010 8:19:43 PM

dude admiral already helped you. he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum about PC builds. If you dont like his advice, then you probably shouldnt be asking for help, because he is pretty much the best you can get.
m
l
February 12, 2010 9:58:04 PM

I'm sorry, I didnt realize. Ive only been on this forum for maybe 2 weeks. I just wanted another opinion possibly. Cuz I've looking at some threads and some people sound like they really know what theyre talking about and but they end up being wrong or giving the wrong advice. I just wanted to see if anyone else agrees or has another opinion. I'm well convinced that he knows what hes talking about and that he really wants to help. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2010 6:28:55 AM

With that budget, how did you wind with the Athlon as your gaming CPU? And that mptheboard is overkill for a gaming rig.

For a gaming rig, you want to focus on the GPU, not fancy cases or RAM. You'll want a balanced system of course but you skip the frills. A $50 case and a $100 case is not gonna give you extra framerates or more than 1 C difference in the air temps inside unless you got out of your way and both the airflow.

For the CPU, I would start with AMD Phenom II X2 555 Deneb 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision - Retail - $104. This CPU will run stable 3.7 GHz all day long with no extra voltage added.

You can easily find easily a good AM3 mobo for $70.

I'd hunt the weekly/daily deals since every week I see sales on the 5850 for around $260.
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:38:27 PM

Hundred, your asking him to get a dual core for 30 bucks more then the x3, a mobo that wont support USB 3.0 and Sata 6, just to equal out on the price if he goes for the cheaper mobo? Why not get the X3 which is more then enough for what he wants, and get the better mobo for the future proofness?

The Haf 922 is an excellent case, with much better airflow and cases and airflow means a lot more then you think. switching from my old case to a newer k-62, there is an 11C difference in idle, and 7C in load for me. That is a fairly large difference.
m
l

Best solution

February 13, 2010 4:51:14 PM

Truhls said:
Hundred, your asking him to get a dual core for 30 bucks more then the x3, a mobo that wont support USB 3.0 and Sata 6, just to equal out on the price if he goes for the cheaper mobo? Why not get the X3 which is more then enough for what he wants, and get the better mobo for the future proofness?

The Haf 922 is an excellent case, with much better airflow and cases and airflow means a lot more then you think. switching from my old case to a newer k-62, there is an 11C difference in idle, and 7C in load for me. That is a fairly large difference.

Well if it's a choice between an older Athlon and a Phenom II with a better videocard, I'd go with what's going to give me better frmaerates, smoother gameplay on his 1920 X 1080 resolution. With the Phenom II his budget allows for a better videocard. Did you read the first thread? How does USB 3.0 and SATA 6 affect framerates and gameplay versus USB 2.0 and SATA 3? He's not asking for suggestions to build a workstation rif with all the extras to attach or hook up video encoding, 3D rendering etc... There you go again with future proofness. When I want to game, I'm gaming now and not thinking about how my system will be gaming 3 years from now. Not because I intend to buy parts every 6 months but I do sell used parts and upgrade every 6 months. To me, there's no such thing as buying or building a future proof system. There's only upgrading or building a new rig based on a new platform all together. If you're a gamer, it's almost silly to think to think your rig is future proofed.

February 23, 2010 7:12:01 PM

Best answer selected by Squirrel15.
m
l
!