Sign in with
Your question

First Wireless Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 5, 2010 4:26:29 AM

Hello, I'm fairly new to wireless networking and was building my computer, and everything was going great until I remembered I needed to create a wireless network. Could anyone please help me decide what wireless router and adapter I should purchase? My phone is connected through a Linksys phone adapter/router (I have VOIP), does this affect any choices I will have to make?

For the first computer, the one that will be connected to the router, I will be playing FPS games such as Battlefield.
For the other computer I will be mainly watching videos.
I have a few questions to ask:
1. What router should I get?
2. Will I need an adapter for both computers?
3. Will wireless G be good enough for watching videos on the second computer?
4. My phone is connected through a Linksys phone adapter/router (I have VOIP), does this affect any choices I will have to make?

Thank you very much for any help, and if you know of any good guides to setting up a wireless network could you please post?

More about : wireless network

Anonymous
April 5, 2010 5:49:05 AM

If you can avoid it, I wouldn't use wireless for game playing -- it's slow and unreliable compared to wired.
m
l
April 5, 2010 6:06:44 AM

The one that I would be using for gaming would be attached to the router.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2010 6:19:45 AM

You'll need a wireless adapter for the computer that is not connected by wire.

I would go to N because G is now old tech. For compatibility and simplicity's sake (and there's nothing wrong with Linksys stuff) I would stick with a single brand.

I don't know about VOIP.
m
l
Anonymous
April 5, 2010 2:16:46 PM

Has your computer got PCI Express socket ? Otherwise go for regular PCI.

I think I would see a dealer about the router because I'm not quite clear what equipment you already have and whether you need to keep this piece of Linksys gear you mention having -- or whether a new router will replace it.
m
l
!