Sign in with
Your question

Looking for opinions on what to do with high CPU temp.

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 7:01:30 PM

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Just a quick run down on my components.
Processor: Intel core 2 quad q6600 kentsfield
Heatsink: Stock one
MoBo: asus p5k
PSU: Corsair hx 620 watt

So recently I got interested in finding out what kind of temperatures my cpu and gpu was rocking. My gpu( nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb) was a comfortable 50 °C but my cpu was running at 65 °C while ideling but hitting 80 to 85°C while being pushed(running BFBC2 on medium settings).
I checked to make sure that the heatsink was seated correctly and its is, at leats im pretty sure it is, its clean of dust and no im not overclocking it. So im wondering if i need to maybe get a new heatsink or buy some new thermal paste or just remove it and put it back on making sure its seated firmly on the cpu.

More about : opinions high cpu temp

April 20, 2010 7:27:45 PM

I have the same processor and the stock fan is just pure garbage. I had a problem with over-heating after I moved apartments.

Definitely would tell you to get some good thermal paste and a new heatsink.

I use a self contained water cooler for the Q6600 and have it overclocked to 3.0 GHz. I haven't checked the temps in forever, but I can tell you it immediately fixed my over-heating issue.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 7:55:46 PM

Definately garbage. I have used an Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme rev 2 air cooler (28C idle and 63C load) and currently use a Corsair H50 sealed water cooler (23C and 45C load) with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on my Q8200, which is similar in speed to the 6600. I'm running it at 3.02GHz at those temps comfortably.

Pretty much damn near any aftermarket cooler that has any reputation at all will outperform the stock and cure your heat prob.
m
l
!