Aquacomputer/Aquaero 5 XT Flow Meter Issue

lawsonj65

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I need a expert with Aquacomputer and Aquaero 5 and its various interconnected stuff.... because I don't read German :heink:

Anyways, I got everything in my looped hooked up just fine with the Aquaero 5 XT. The only issue I'm having is with the Aquacomputer G1/4 Flow Meter Sensor Block USB Version:

bus-316.jpg

First I connected the USB to the motherboard and the 3-pin cable it came with from the 4-pin on the flow meter to the 3-pin flow head on the Aquaero 5 XT...nothing. I then got the special 3-pin flow cable...the connector on one end is way too large for either the flow meter or the Aquaero. So then I got the 4-pin Aquabus cable and connected it to the Aquabus 1 then Aquabus 2 heads on the Aquaero 5. That actually got something.

On the Aquasuite 2012 software, I selected the options for Highflow USB flow meter under the MPS devices. It will not allow me to do calibration and I can't get anything better than 1 gallon/minute. I have the Swiftech Apogee II which at max output should do about 4.75 gallons/minute.

Can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong and how I should be doing it right? Let me know if you need any other details. I really hope its not a bad flow meter...because I really would like to RMA this thing back to Germany.

Thanks!

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Your flow is decreed by you loop "not uncommon" try connecting the flow test directly to your pump and then loop it back on if self with out going though your system to make sure it working correctly before testing the whole loop.

lawsonj65

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I do have a 90 and two 45s. The flow meter is connected via a 90 from the inline reservoir, to a 120 rad, then a 45 to the block/pump, then to a 45 on 280 rad then back to the res.

But you're probably right, thequn... I just cringe at having to disconnect stuff. On the other hand I've heard it doesn't matter where you place the flow meter...but here we are. Where should the optimum placement should be for the flow meter? Before the pump intake or after the outlet?

gatekeeper_si

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Personally i put the flow meter just before the processor block because thats where you need to know the flow so your cpu doent over heat....
I suppose putting the flow sesnor after the pump would give a higher reading but i prefer to be on the safe side ...

My loop goes ...:
pump/res - 360rad - aqucomputer flow sensor - inline temp sensor - cup block - MOSFET block - GPU 1 Block - GPU 2 Block -Draining T tap - Aquero5 Heatsink block - inline temp sensor - and back to res/ pump

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Flow rate should be fairly consistent throughout the loop- you cannot have higher flow at one point and lower flow elsewhere. Fluids are not easily compressed at normal temperatures, so the flow is limited by the most restrictive point in the loop, but mainly as a sum of all restrictive components...all components, including tubing, introduce restriction. You should be able to put it anywhere in the loop and find get an accurate reading.

Flow meters are an unnecessary waste of money and reduction of flow in your loop- this is my opinion and I have several reasons why I strongly feel this way as there several alternatives for not using them or needing them at all.

Jakusonfire

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
The position of your flow meter in your loop will not matter. Your flow rate is a result of the total restriction of the loop and water can't flow at a higher rate at the start of the loop than at the end, the water can speed up in narrower parts and slow down in wider parts but the flow rate remains the same through the whole loop.

The flow rate you are reading is totally consistant with the loop you describe. A pump may put out 5GPM when it is pumping into free space but adding even the slightest restriction will instantly drop that flow rate down.

The AC flow meter is one of the most accurate available. The flow meter cable you bought is for the non usb version that only has a 3 pin connector on it.
When the USB version is connected via USB it will show up with its own tab in the Aquasuite software and can be calibrated by setting the number of impulses per GPM ... it should already be configures at 169. Once it is set up you can disconect the USB cable and use the Aquabus cable to send the flow info to the Aquaero.