Overclock my FX-4100, is it worth it?

hasteone

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Okey, I have a AMD FX-4100, and I heard they are kinda great as you can clock them kinda' much.

My questions is:
Is it worth buying a CPU cooler to overclock the CPU from 3,6 ghz(standard) to 4,0 ghz
And which CPU cooler would I need if I want to reach 4,0 ghz?

How big differense will there be? Noticeable enough to be worth it, I mean, will the differense be worth the money that I'll spend on a CPU cooler?

I just want to get better Performance in GW2, BF3 and games like that, GW2 takes much of the CPU I heard, so OC'ing my cpu might not be stupid, but is it owrth it, what cpu cooler would I need, and how much does it cost?

hasteone

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Wait, I'd like to overclock it to 4,3 ghz as people saying that they run stable on 4,5 sometimes, 4,3 would be great, but what cpu cooler do I need?

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
speaking from my own experience, the FX-series runs pretty cool. I hada full custom water loop on mine (FX-6200) and never hit the thermal limit on a 4.8Ghz OC. never got close actually. I'd say if you have case air flow, a semi-cool room, a decent air cooler will give you a good OC and you won't have to worry about temps. I'd buy a cooler master hyper 212+ or something like what. whatever is highest rated on newegg.com and in your price range!

hasteone

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Cool, I dunno if I'll buy a AMD FX-6100, but maybe its not a big differense between them?

Well, cheapest way is to go OC my FX-4100, but how do I know if the cpu cooler fits my cpu?
If I get it to 4,3 ghz, will that be a worth differense for the money I'll spend on a new cooler?

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
hard for me to say if it would be worth the cost difference. I do think you'll be able to hit 4.3 - 4.5Ghz and for a $30 cooler you wouldn't be bad off. however you could also get the 4170 which runs 4.0 - 4.2 out of the box. not sure the cost difference off the top of my head

hasteone

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

that CPU cooler?

Will it work to OC my FX-4100 to about 4,5 ghz with that cooler?

And I guess the performance differense between 3,6 ghz - 4,5 ghz is kinda worth it for 30 dollars.
I'm really short on cash, it'd be great if it works.

hasteone

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
And I'm also running a GTX 550 TI, but I dont play on highest graphics in Guild Wars 2..

I want more performance, due to some lag, but nothing terrible.
According to Guild Wars 2, I guess its really worth it buying this CPU cooler for 30 dollars: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741
To OC the FX-4100 to 4,5 ghz because Guild Wars 2 is a game that takes on the CPU.

What do you think guys? Is it worth it, I'm short on cash, will the improvement be worth 30 dollars, I play alot of GW2, and as I said it takes much on the CPU.
I hope its worth it, but please comment with your opinions :)

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Well just think about it:30$ on a Heatsink that can be used in future rigs(need adapters)for an extra 900mhz?Of course it is worth it!
Games are more and more CPU intensive so it is wise to get a good CPU speed.Besides your 550ti is probably bottlenecked by your CPU's low speed.You should be running Guild Wars at 50-60 fps with the 550 ti but your CPU wont let it.
Yes,OC it please.Just make sure you do know how to OC,don't just copy/paste voltages,clocks and multiplier from other rigs,every chip is different.Also OC with your mobo,not with software.

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi

I used to overclock both of my AMD 720BE (to 3.8GHz) and my 1090T reached a comfortable 4GHz, I could bench at 4.2 but stayed at 4 for stability. I used the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ but you will get even better results if you use the Hyper 212 EVO and strap another 120mm fan to the back.

You will be very pleased with the performance boost at 4GHz and up. I even went as far as to attach 2 sythe 140mm fans onto this cooler and it performs out of this world.

Good luck with the overclock, and after you overclock your CPU, why not give OC'in the GPU a shot.

Have Fun
Fungi