Solved

Which CPU temp should I believe?

I just finished putting together my i5-750 machine on an ASUS motherboard with a single Radeon HD 4650. In the bios I am getting idle temps of 53*C however PC Wizard is giving me a processor temp of 29-30*C idle. I am using the stock intel cooler and the bios is on stock settings.

I'm thinking something about the PC Wizard reading is not right but the stock cooler still shouldnt let the processor be at 53*C should it?(I am also using the tc that came on the cooler.

Everything is connected correctly and I have a 120intake and 120exhaust fans.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which temp believe
  1. I would believe the BIOS reading. I would also be willing to bet there is a push-pin that isn't fully seated since your CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 53C when idle. Did you install the HSF with the motherboard outside of the case so you could make sure all four push-pins were fully seated? Were all the push-pins rotated the opposite direction as the arrows when the cooler was installed?
  2. I would check BIOS for temperature reading - it SHOULD be the most accurate software reading, however Core Temp & Real Temp also are pretty reliable.

    Definately sounds like and badly seated HSF... Intel persists with the rubbish push pin design that causes many a pc builder (pro / novice) problems at some point.
  3. shortstuff_mt said:
    I would believe the BIOS reading. I would also be willing to bet there is a push-pin that isn't fully seated since your CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 53C when idle. Did you install the HSF with the motherboard outside of the case so you could make sure all four push-pins were fully seated? Were all the push-pins rotated the opposite direction as the arrows when the cooler was installed?



    I installed it with the motherboard in the case. But the panel on the opposite side of my case comes off for access to the back of the motherboard, so yes it is seated correctly. There is no play in the heatsink.

    Everest says 25*C processor temp(same as Pc Wizard). Thats kind of strange.
  4. Best answer
    I wouldn't believe either reading. Download and run RealTemp and post temps.

    Also, I think it is worth mentioning that there have been quite a lot of posts where temps were quite high stock HSF. I hate the stock coolers. Imo, invest a few $$ and get a good cooler like the Hyper 212+.

    Quote:
    I would check BIOS for temperature reading - it SHOULD be the most accurate software reading, however Core Temp & Real Temp also are pretty reliable.

    Not true. There have been a lot of cases where the BIOS temps were known to be wrong. So far, calibrated RealTemp is the most accurate tool.
  5. Shadow703793 said:
    I wouldn't believe either reading. Download and run RealTemp and post temps.

    Also, I think it is worth mentioning that there have been quite a lot of posts where temps were quite high stock HSF. I hate the stock coolers. Imo, invest a few $$ and get a good cooler like the Hyper 212+.

    Quote:
    I would check BIOS for temperature reading - it SHOULD be the most accurate software reading, however Core Temp & Real Temp also are pretty reliable.

    Not true. There have been a lot of cases where the BIOS temps were known to be wrong. So far, calibrated RealTemp is the most accurate tool.



    Ok with realtemp I'm occasionaly getting 31* on core #1 at idle, the rest mid to high 20's. So I guess its safe to say there is something wrong with the bios reading? Any ideas on how to fix that?

    And I do plan on adding a Hyper 212plus I just wanted to get this rig up and running ( I was becoming impatient ^.^)
  6. Shadow703793 said:

    Quote:
    I would check BIOS for temperature reading - it SHOULD be the most accurate software reading, however Core Temp & Real Temp also are pretty reliable.

    Not true. There have been a lot of cases where the BIOS temps were known to be wrong. So far, calibrated RealTemp is the most accurate tool.


    I have to agree. I've always had temps higher in bios that i have read in other temps programs like core temp.

    It like if the bios is making the cpu run a little than being idle.
  7. Quote:


    Ok with realtemp I'm occasionaly getting 31* on core #1 at idle, the rest mid to high 20's. So I guess its safe to say there is something wrong with the bios reading? Any ideas on how to fix that?

    And I do plan on adding a Hyper 212plus I just wanted to get this rig up and running ( I was becoming impatient ^.^)

    Yup, that's more realistic. Just to be safe, check your temps under full Prime 95 Small FFT load.
  8. mushroomking said:
    Ok with realtemp I'm occasionaly getting 31* on core #1 at idle, the rest mid to high 20's. So I guess its safe to say there is something wrong with the bios reading?

    You can't compare the bios' CPU temperature reading to Realtemps core temperature reading, they're not the same.
    CPU temps are read from a diode on the chip in between the cores , core temperature's are read from a thermal sensor on each core.
    The fact that the cpu temperature in the bios doesn't jive with PCW and Everest is strange, have you tried Asus Probe ?
  9. Wait a sec... OP was comparing BIOS Core Temps or CPU Temps, cause there is a difference!

    In any case, CPU temp doesn't really matter imo. HOWEVER CPU "Core" temp matters!
  10. Shadow703793 said:
    Wait a sec... OP was comparing BIOS Core Temps or CPU Temps, cause there is a difference!

    In any case, CPU temp doesn't really matter imo. HOWEVER CPU "Core" temp matters!

    Have yet to see a bios that reads core temps.
  11. Shadow703793 said:
    Wait a sec... OP was comparing BIOS Core Temps or CPU Temps, cause there is a difference!

    In any case, CPU temp doesn't really matter imo. HOWEVER CPU "Core" temp matters!



    CPU temp(PECI) 53*C the way its written in my bios. (I'm pretty sure it was (PECI))
  12. delluser1 said:
    Have yet to see a bios that reads core temps.

    IIRC, the EVGA boards had the option to do so. Can't remember. Been a while.
  13. Ok guys I went and bought a Hyper 212+ today and installed it. When I took off the stock heatsink the tc on it was spread like it was on crooked even though the pins were indeed on right(crappy design on the Intels part). But the 212+ brought my bios temps down nearly 20*C so it was a well spent $40, but they were out of AS5 so I got some stuff called Formula 5 from Antec. However I'm happy with the results :D .
  14. Best answer selected by mushroomking.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling