Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS436 w/ RAID 0 - like to add an SSD in front of the RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2012 12:32:00 AM

Hi all,

I have a pretty robust Dell XPS 435 which is less than 2 years old and was quite top-shelf when I ordered it. I would like to add an SSD boot drive/apps drive in front of the RAID 0 and keep the RAID 0 which is comprised of two 1 TB fast Samsung drives.

The system came with an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID controller which I believe to be on mother board.

I see one available SATA connector in the system.

Is this going to be a bear to architect? I certainly don't mind re-installing Win 7 Ultimate and the select apps onto the SSD. The system is about ready for a clean install anyway.

Are there any major gotchas I need to be aware of?

From an operating perspective, I guess I will need to get used to new/different drive letter designations and some of that as far as where the data should be stored on the SATA RAID 0? Any big issues here?

For Win 7 and maybe for Win 8, what size SSD should I be looking at? Any specific brands/models that you like?

I am a Win 7 power user, no gaming to speak of, mostly MS Office/browsing and lots of media stuff and occasional graphics work using Adobe CS2, that sort of thing.

Thx DD

February 19, 2012 10:22:17 PM

anyone??
February 19, 2012 11:08:35 PM

my bad!! In the initial post I wrote RAID 0 and I meant to say RAID 1. I would like to add an SSD for the OS and key apps and keep the HD RAID 1 for data.

Anyone?

Thx DD
!