Computer system alternatives -Premiere Pro CS4

arun3101

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I will be using Premiere Pro CS4 and Photoshop CS4 on this computer (will upgrade to CS5 when released if it is going to be a substantial upgrade like the CS4). My current computer upgrade is to make my life easy while working with Premier Pro. I marked the parts I chose with a (1) but am considering the second alternative (2)
I would like the system to be decently fast without me spending $400-$500 extra for a small increase in speed. .(At the same time, I do not want to save $400-500 and have frustration. Given this and the fact that while this is a serious hobby, I am not a Pro (I do not charge money for my work), can you please suggest if I can safely downgrade to the second alternative (or should upgrade - in case of the blu ray burner). Your knowledge help me immensely.

Thanks

Processor:

(1) Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 920 2.66GHz 8MB 130W (Socket 1366 45nm)
versus
(2) Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 860 (Lynnfield) 2.8GHz 8MB 95W (Socket 1156 45nm)

Memory:
(1)12 GB Ram
versus
(2) 8 GB RAM

DVD Burner:
(1)Pioneer 22X DVD-RW SATA (black)
versus
(2) Pioneer 12X Blu-ray Burner SATA (black)

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
What's your budget? For a non-professional system, you probably won't notice the difference between a $100 Athlon II X4, and a $300 i7. The amount of RAM will have a greater impact on system performance. How long to you plan to keep this PC before a full upgrade? Only if you plan on using this for 4+ yrs without upgrades would I suggest an i7 for your needs.

arun3101

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I will definitely keep this for four to five years. My budget is in the $3000-$3500 range, but it helps to go with less, if I can.

I get completely different opinions from other people (say in my office) regarding where not to cut on budget and where to spend money when it comes to memory versus processor speed. Some say like you said RAM is more important (given the same $ limit) and the others say, for video editing you need a better processor for rendering etc, than RAM (while it needs 8GB RAM, additional RAM will not help much). Which is why I asked in this forum as I see many knowledgable people on this. What is the right answer..and can you also add some technical stuff like why it is so? Thanks.

Simple - you have the $$ and plan to have a one time sinking investment the i7/LGA 1366 is the way to go else A2X4 620 or P2X4 925 with cheapo 770/785 chipset and upgrade/overhaul as and when newer tech/devices become mainstream i.e USB 3 SATA 3 , yada yada One thing to note is how fast tech moves so your super expensive chipset now will be deemed obsolete very soon by cheaper ones with superior tech, ports, yada yada...