Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multi-Media Use - Needed to be Overclocked?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 13, 2012 2:48:59 AM

hi computer gurus, i have a computer (all in stock) and i use it for architectural visualizations (rendering, modeling, autocad, photoshop for post processing) and i have it quite for a long time now (almost 2 years already). however when i buy it i only do small rendering project visualization and it fits me right (fast rendering times), however right now my project got bigger and bigger and the rendering times is quite slow now, so im wondering if i just Overclocked it (can't afford buying a new one since i only bought this 2 years ago) but i really have no experience in overclocking, i only tried overclocking using my motherboard software EasyTune6 - Turbo Boost but i dont really feel my computer is speeding up whenever i use EasyTune application for easy overclocking thus making me think to manually overclock it.

here is my specs:
Intel Core i7 950 w/ stock fan
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0
6GB (3x2GB) GSKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ
Saphire ATI Radeon 6850
Thermaltake Though Power XT 775W
Harddrives:
1 TB Samsung HD103SJ - Downloads
256GB Seagate ST325031AS - OS + Applications
1TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ext. Storage USB 3.0 - Files Needed For Rendering (Texture,Maps)

what do you suggest guys? do i stick with my EasyTune or overclock it manually. and im a little skeptical about overclocking it on Easytune since i only have a stockfan (can my stock fan handle easytune overclocking? or do i need to buy an aftermarket one?)

btw, since prices is a little down for now, im planning to add new RAM and SSD im thinking of making it 12-24GB of RAM can you suggest one that is good and fast RAM that can handle my usage( im planning to sell my old 6GB ram). and a bang for a buck SSD?

a c 129 K Overclocking
November 13, 2012 4:04:13 PM

thantot09 said:
hi computer gurus, i have a computer (all in stock) and i use it for architectural visualizations (rendering, modeling, autocad, photoshop for post processing) and i have it quite for a long time now (almost 2 years already). however when i buy it i only do small rendering project visualization and it fits me right (fast rendering times), however right now my project got bigger and bigger and the rendering times is quite slow now, so im wondering if i just Overclocked it (can't afford buying a new one since i only bought this 2 years ago) but i really have no experience in overclocking, i only tried overclocking using my motherboard software EasyTune6 - Turbo Boost but i dont really feel my computer is speeding up whenever i use EasyTune application for easy overclocking thus making me think to manually overclock it.

here is my specs:
Intel Core i7 950 w/ stock fan
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0
6GB (3x2GB) GSKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ
Saphire ATI Radeon 6850
Thermaltake Though Power XT 775W
Harddrives:
1 TB Samsung HD103SJ - Downloads
256GB Seagate ST325031AS - OS + Applications
1TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ext. Storage USB 3.0 - Files Needed For Rendering (Texture,Maps)

what do you suggest guys? do i stick with my EasyTune or overclock it manually. and im a little skeptical about overclocking it on Easytune since i only have a stockfan (can my stock fan handle easytune overclocking? or do i need to buy an aftermarket one?)

btw, since prices is a little down for now, im planning to add new RAM and SSD im thinking of making it 12-24GB of RAM can you suggest one that is good and fast RAM that can handle my usage( im planning to sell my old 6GB ram). and a bang for a buck SSD?

For ANY form of overclocking you will need an aftermarket cooler.

I also always suggest manual overclocking in the BIOS, but the overclocking done by easytune and Manual are also very different types of clocking.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:04:35 PM

Novuake said:
For ANY form of overclocking you will need an aftermarket cooler.

I also always suggest manual overclocking in the BIOS, but the overclocking done by easytune and Manual are also very different types of clocking.

ohh i see, how does easytune overclocking differ from the manual? and also can you suggest good aftermarket cooler. im keen at getting corsair hydro series because it looks more clean and dust will be less likely to gather on my motherboard compared to the towering fins w/ fans.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 129 K Overclocking
November 13, 2012 9:00:33 PM

The Hydro series is good if you don't want alot of clutter in your case. They are not awesome for what you pay, but sufficient.
I own a H80. I would not suggest any less than that.

You should also consider a Noctua NF-D14 air tower cooler, those are very good, but very larger. Provides amazing cooling at an amazing price. They are unavailable in South Africa and thats why I do not have one.

The Easytune is just a way of limiting the power regulation that CPUs have built in. It will not allow an for above specification OC.

As for RAM, I would say a good G.skill 2133MHz 12GB kit is good.

Try getting timings of 10-11-10 or 10-10-10.

SSDs are amazing fro content creation like video editing.

A samsung 830 is good IMO. Size is something you will need to decide on depending on your budget.
December 13, 2012 3:44:29 PM

Best answer selected by thantot09.
m
l
!