Sign in with
Your question
Closed

<- noob that wants to upgrade some things

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2010 9:37:24 PM

Hello everyone, i was thinking of giving a bit of speed to my old dusty computer :p  and I have a question or two, i know i know im not as good as you guys are but at least im trying :D 

First here are my specs:

Winfast nf4sk8aa (was originally a a8n-sli from asus but broke down so i changed it)
- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
- 2000 MT/s HyperTransport™
- Dual channel DDR400 / DDR333 / DDR 266 DRAM x4 DIMMs, Max 4GB
- 2 PCIe x16, support dual GPU
- 1 PCIe x1
- 6 Serial ATAII
- 2 x 1394a
- 7.1 channel Audio, AC97 interface (Realtek)
- Dual GbE LAN (Marvell)
- 10 USB 2.0 ports

SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE 128mb
1gb ram in a set of 2 and 2 slots left, im gonna go for another set of 1gb since i use xp

ok lol if anyone would have the kindness to tell me if i can fit 2x geforce9800 (saw it for 99$ca) in there or if im better off getting one better card, i know im a bit low budget...

Also would my cpu be able to handle it?

Thanx alot in advance to anyone who would answer

More about : noob upgrade things

a c 106 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 10:14:47 PM

well, if it's two 9800 cards for $99 that's a great deal, so long as your board is an SLI board, which I assume it is. If it's a 9800GX2 for $99 though, then it should work in your motherboard. You will need a better PSU for either though. Also, your CPU will hold the cards back. In fact, because of the CPU overhead from SLI you may actually get lower frame rates in many instances compared to using a single GPU, just so you know.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 11:04:43 PM

Probably better with a single card, although even that is probably going to be WAY overkill for your CPU.

You are pretty limited in what you can do with a 939 socket -- can't upgrade the CPU to a dual-core or anything that could keep up with a modern video card. You're also stuck on regular DDR RAM, which is going to hold you back as well. I honestly would not spend very much money on this machine and save it for a new one, because there's nothing that will make it fast enough.

If you need to hang on to this machine for a while, most I'd spend is $45 to get an HD 3650, which is about the max upgrade for that system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Basically, this machine is too old and cannot really be upgraded to do more than play low-intensity games.

February 4, 2010 11:15:31 PM

i see... thanks very much for the help, i have another more recent machine but i dont like it much everything is onboard, i guess ill have to do as capt_taco said and stack money for a better machine, seriously thanks again guys
EDIT: quote"I assume you mean 9800GX2, for $99 ca" quote"If it's a 9800GX2 for $99 though" sorry for the misuderstanding, what i was looking at was one (BFG GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support and i wanted 2) for 99$ca each
but as i was expecting it and good thing i checked with you guys the old fart wont take it XD

Score
February 15, 2010 9:08:49 PM

Best answer selected by faus.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 2:19:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!