4gb installed 2gb usable.

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I've checked the threads on this problem but I can't seem to find a solution or pinpoint the problem. Basically my PC only recognizes half the memory installed. It says in my bios that 2gb are usable and in Windows 7-64 it basically says the same thing and that 2gb are "hardware reserved." But I'm pretty certain it is a hardware issue. Whenever I insert one stick into the 2nd slot dimm, the PC will not boot but if I install it in the 4th slot, it boots just fine. So basically I know the 2nd slot is the problem because both stick will not work in there. But the strange thing is, is that I've tried this on two different mobos. First a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (same problem) and now with my ASUS. I thought perhaps the G.Skills were incompatible so I swapped them out with a pair of Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 1600 CAS9 sticks but with the same exact issue (2nd slot is not functioning properly). My only guess is that the perhaps some of the pins are bent in the socket. But I know I didn't install the CPU incorrectly, I made certain that I was extra careful. Followed installation down to the letter. Is it a bad CPU Memory Controller or bent pins?

Intel I7-875k 2.93GHZ
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASUS 1156 P7P55D-E LX
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CAS7 4gb (2x2gb)
BFG 896mb GTX 260
Corsair 650-TX 650w
Windows 7 64 Home Premium

Welcome Newcomer :)

There are typically (5) explainations: 1. Partitions, 2. Bad RAM, 3. Bent CPU Pin, 4. Bad install (improper DIMM slot/seating), 5. Incompatible RAM (non-certified/non-tested/type/mix-matching).

Post your exact DDR part-number.

Try first:
1. Pull one (1) DDR, and then exchange with the other DDR.
2. Run Memtest86+ {create a bootable CD/DVD - http://www.memtest.org/ use ISO/zip}
3. Post your Resource Monitor

There's always going to be some H/W reserve
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
These are my ram:
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (PC312800) F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM 4GB (2x2)

I've already tried both of your suggestions. Both stick do not work in 2nd slot. Memtest, I ran for 12 hours but no errors whatsoever.

By partitions, do you mean on the HDD? I've done a fresh install several times, as well. I've reseated memory. I've tried two different brands of memory, both of which are suppose to be certified for the mobo. Would a power supply come into the equation?

Possible fix:

Partitions:
"The problem was to reinstall windows and instead of just formatting the existing partition, to delete the partition and create a new one. This worked for me where formatting the existing partition didn't."

BIOS:
Also some people solve the issue by enable memory mapping in their BIOS.

MSCONFIG:
Uncheck maximum memory and number of processors in MSconfig. RUN msconfig | "Boot" -tab | ("Advanced options") | uncheck [ ] all items } & restart.
Boot_OPT.gif

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Memory re-mapping is enabled in my Bios by default. I've already tried the MSConfig solution but to no avail. I could try deleting the partition and create a new one. Or maybe even using a different hard drive altogether.
But if it is OS-related, would that really affect the memory slots? I think I'll try tonight either by deleting the partition or installing on another HDD, I have nothing to lose.

If you look at "your" Resource Monitor {4096 MB Installed} so it's being recognized.

I would try the simplest to R/O the problem, and if you have an extra HDD to "test" then certainly try it. Based upon what I see the Partition is "Probably" the issue.

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Well I'm resorting to reformatting/deleting partition because I've tried everything else including your list. I've swapped out every piece of hardware, cleared CMOS, I've manually changed the Dram Timings/Voltage, etc,...So I'm pretty much at my wits end.

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Well, bad news. The "deleting the partition and fresh install" didn't work. I'm certain now it's a hardware problem, maybe bent pins. I can't get dual channel working on this mobo because slot 2 doesn't work but 4 does. If I install the sticks in slot 3-4 the Windows recognizes it as 4gb usable, but obviously it's only in single channel mode. From reading posts here and on other forums and me believing it is a hardware issue I'm beginning to think in all likelihood it is bent pins.

G

FYI, I have the G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB and am having the same problem. ASUS P7P55D Pro board and windows 7 64 Bit, and it show 4GB installed (2GB available)... So I'm doubting it is bent pins, there must be something going on here.

Any solutions, or more ideas on what to try?

trueper

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
what does the mem show when 32bit os is installed?
Does the manual specify which slots must be used when running on 2 modules? I know my manual specified slots to be used (P7P55D-E PRO)
Check your BIOS settings under memory management for something related to shared memory or something like that

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Well here is an update if anyone is interested. As you may know I've swapped out every piece of hardware on this build. Which "eventually" pinpointed the problem to the CPU, which is what I thought. Anyways, I was hoping to RMA the CPU to Intel. As I went through the runaround with the tech, I told him my problem. He told me that my ram is not compatible with my CPU. Which were the Ripjaws 1600mhz. He said I7's were designed for 1333mhz memory modules and that is why I've been having problems with my 2nd slot not being utilized. But then I said, "Wait, I also installed some Patriot II 5-series and they were 1333mhz." I gave him the part number and he said, that they were also not compatible with my CPU. I said, "They are 1333mhz, ddr3's". He said, "But they are 1.6v, they should be 1.5v."

We went back and forth on this issue. I asked him why would all these memory manufacturers claim they were compatible then. And if they weren't compatible, what CPU's were these memory modules designed for? He said that the Intels were designed for 1333mhz 1.5v modules and if I used anything higher, it would void the warranty. I also said well, I had my memory settings at 1333mhz and 1.5v, anyway. But he said, it didn't matter, that the memory's original settings had to be compliant. He also told me that they test returned CPUs and that they get many customers who burned/ruined the memory controller on the CPUs because they do not use compatible memory modules and that they are returned back to the customers. So, he told me to try memory modules that are originally 1333mhz/1.5v and that they should resolve the issue.

I don't know now, maybe I got stuck with a CPU that is more nitpicky about memory. Maybe I should go get some 1333mhz/1.5v modules but what I'm afraid of is that I ruined this CPU without me even knowing it. The tech told me he didn't think that the CPU memory controller was ruined if only half the memory was being utilized and that it is a compatibility issue and that I could RMA the CPU afterwards. What should I do now? If bought new memory, and they didn't work. It's probably likely that even if I were to RMA the CPU if the ram didn't work, they would return the CPU claiming it was my doing.

So for the rest of you having the same issue as me, maybe this was informative.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Could it possibly be your MB memory slot & not the CPU?

Sounds like Intel is trying to BS their way out of an RMA.

JD

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I wish it was but no. I had the same exact problem with a gigabyte board, the same exact slot would not work. I almost wish I made up another reason to RMA but that wouldn't be honest. haha.

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
It's been awhile but I believe I actually found out what the problem may be. I've read it is normal for the motherboard to bend or bow a little. I noticed when I close the cpu socket clamp that my motherboard bends slightly. When I install my 212 Hyper Plus heatsink, I notice that it bends even more. I tried loosening it a bit but that does not seem to help. Then I decided to try an Intel Stock Cooler w/ push pins and noticed that the motherboard does not bend as much. So I powered on my system and low and behold, all 4gb are said to be usable in both bios and Win 7. The problem is is that I would rather not be stuck using a stock Intel cooler. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could do. Also, is it possible that the CPU Clamp is too tight and has anyone loosened it a bit?

FuSioN-X

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
I have had the same problem with my p7p55d-e lx motherboard and also tried different configurations with my ram and nothing worked until i took out all my ram and turned my pc on with no ram in the mobo, left it for 30seconds, turned it off and put the 2x2GB sticks back in the slots and kabam it worked like nothing ever happened. Oh and I use Corsair XMS 3 1600Mhz C7 memory, so that story about the ram not being compatible is, I think total BS. This is the first and only time it has happened to me. Working fine after I rebooted my pc with no ram.

Dridge

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

I only signed up in this board to back up this solution: FuSioN-X is correct.
I've been trying for days to find a right solution, may it be Enabling Memory Mapping in BIOS, choosing some settings in the msconfig of Windows 8 and many more.
But this solution, maybe the most simple one, actually worked: Don't just try to replace the RAM to different slots, it won't work. But what WILL work (or at least what worked for me) is to remove all RAM-units and start up the mainboard for one minute. After I put them back in, BIOS as well as Windows 8 recognized it.
Great, thank you!