Have a question about onboard sound S/PDIF etc

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
So I'm getting the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard which can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga-p55a-ud3

I have a few questions

Onboard Sound

Now it says audio is 8 channels. Does this mean I can get 7.1 surround sound?

S/PDIF

What is S/PDIF?

There's one optical and one coaxial. What are these? What's it used for and all?

Max LAN Speed

It supports 10/100/1000 Mbps, anyone mind educating me on this some?

Onboard USB

What is this exactly? It already has 10 USB ports, it also has 4 more onboard? How does that work?

Thank you for your time

Solution
Onboard Sound: Here is the website to explain it for you... Realtek ALC888 but bascially you are right.

S/PDIF: Here is the websiet to explain it for you... S/PDIF. Basically, it is a digital audio output with optical and coaxial being the type of connectors supported.

Max LAN Speed: 10/100/1000 Mbps is your Ethernet speeds (broadband internet or network), which gives you a 1 Gigabit Ethernet at 1 Gbps (1,000 megabits). It also supports the 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps speeds, which are standard, along with the 1000 Mbps.

Onboard USB: Onboard USB is where you connect your front panel USB ports to on the motherboard. They are internal connectors for either your front panel or a PCI adapter. They are not...

tecmo34

Administrator
Onboard Sound: Here is the website to explain it for you... Realtek ALC888 but bascially you are right.

S/PDIF: Here is the websiet to explain it for you... S/PDIF. Basically, it is a digital audio output with optical and coaxial being the type of connectors supported.

Max LAN Speed: 10/100/1000 Mbps is your Ethernet speeds (broadband internet or network), which gives you a 1 Gigabit Ethernet at 1 Gbps (1,000 megabits). It also supports the 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps speeds, which are standard, along with the 1000 Mbps.

Onboard USB: Onboard USB is where you connect your front panel USB ports to on the motherboard. They are internal connectors for either your front panel or a PCI adapter. They are not designed to plug an actual USB plug into.

I hope this helps!!

Solution

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Thank you very much.

I appreciate the sites. So looks like it supports any standard networking speed I need.

Is S/PDIF old then cause I don't think I've seen any of those kinda cables really.

and Im glad to know my mobo supports it, thank you again