Help with an HTPC build

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
After some research on the WD TV Live and the Patriot. I have found that building a HTPC would be the way to go. The WD can't play 1080p with 30fps (only 1080i). The Patriot doesn't support FLAC. Little things like this bother me and I know that with a PC I can do whatever I like to make things work: codecs, software, etc...

I want to build a PC that can play 1080p mkvs and 1080p bluray discs seemlessly (I plan on purchasing a bluray drive). The only problem is I do not know what does most of the work. Is it the GPU or the CPU??

I will be running windows 7 and be using VLC (most likely) as the player. This will be on a 47" Vizio TV.

I'm not sure what I need though. I know I don't need over the top Quad core with top of the line GPU right?

Is a dual core with a decent intergrated GPU good enough? Please help. I don't even know how the GPU and CPU decide whos going to do what.

Thanx guys

Solution

intel has great cpus, but when you face the decisions on getting a pseudo quad or a true quad at similar price, my vote is on true quad. not to mention the fact that the true quad costs less. but notice that I've recommended a triple core.
that mb is cheaper but it has no...

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
A decent IGP would work fine, +1 daggs, OP i would run with his setup, you won't be able to beat that price on an intel platform and given that the IGP is marginally better, though i would choose different ram like the GSKill Eco (1.35v)

though i would like to give you a word of warning, VLC CANNOT play encrypted blurays (ie all store bought ones) since they have not obtained a key for there software

in order to do so you would need to buy a program called Slysoft AnyDVD HD (109 EURO or ~$150 USD), which on the fly decrypts blu rays and allow any program to play them (with the correct codecs)

barring that, if you buy the drive retail and not oem, it should come with software to play bluray, though usually limited to 2 channel sound, in order to get the full 5.1 you have to buy there better package (usually around $100 minus the ram, i would go for )

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

Thanx!! So the AMD is better than the i3 the other guy spoke of..and much cheaper as well....I don't know why anyone would ever go intel $$$$

1 question....would this guy work as well??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394&Tpk=MA785GM-US2H

2 little cheaper and only supports DDR2..maybe use 4GB in..does this make a difference??? Is DDR3 more importnant than using more RAM? if so I will go with the original parts you said to go with.

then pair it up with this CPU?

3 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694&Tpk=HDX545WFGIBOX

I'm not challenging your descision..I'm just trying to learn whose better than who and why

enlighten me please

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

WOW did not know that about VLC...thanx for the heads up

Limited to 2 channel sound?? my God...I can't have that

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

intel has great cpus, but when you face the decisions on getting a pseudo quad or a true quad at similar price, my vote is on true quad. not to mention the fact that the true quad costs less. but notice that I've recommended a triple core.
that mb is cheaper but it has no future, let say you can get a new cpu when the next amd cpu comes out, there is a good chance it won't work because the mb is am2+ and the differences won't justify releasing a new bios update. for an am3 cpu, get a am3 only mb and a ddr3 memory.
the diff is in power consumption (not sure about it thought) and speed.

thats a dual core, that one is great for gaming, but it is a disabled quad, thus there is a chance that with the proper mb and bios you can unlock the rest of the cores and get a fully functional quad at the price of dual, but that is a gamble. I think you can do it with the cpu I've recommended too.
quad is more then you need, true of pseudo, that's why I've recommended a triple

Solution

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Thank for the promt and informative reply. I don't want to muck around with the bios and unlock cores...sounds scary..and possibly damaging. I'm going to go with the triple core you mentioned and the mb.

so faster RAM is better than more RAM???

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

at these speeds, no, it is a htpc, you don't need alot ram.
notice that ddr2 will probably wont work on a ddr3 mb