Sign in with
Your question

Very Impressed with AMD

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2010 6:33:24 AM

Okay... I'm VERY impressed with AMD right now... Never owned AMD before, but probably will from now on.

I had a Pentium 4 630 running at 3.4 Ghz..

Just bought this combo at Tiger http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Which is a Phenom II X2 550 BE + Gigabyte Motherboard.

I followed the easy 2 minute instructions to turn this into a quad core...

$159.99 quad core upgrade... And for some reason Tiger never charges me sales tax( I think it's because they don't have a store in California) and this item had free shpping.... Best $159.99 I've ever spent... HUGE upgrade... For those of you looking to upgrade and want to keep your DDR2 RAM/ HARD DRIVE/ GPU/ PSU.... This is a phenomenal deal.

More about : impressed amd

February 13, 2010 6:50:11 AM

too bad they're as strong as intel's last generation of core 2 quad chips.. LOL..

you pay for what you get.. i guess at low end, amd is quite attractive..

building high end, intel no doubt..

i guess you're more impressed with how fast technology is moving, which impresses me as well :]
m
l
February 13, 2010 11:36:49 AM

Between the Intel fanboys and the benchmark whores, AMD gets a bad rap for pretty much no reason.

Glad you like your new machine, and for $160 that's a great combo.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2010 12:25:54 PM

As a systems builder on the side the bulk of my clients happen to be just like you : normal joes on P4s or 939s and dun do rendering/encoding nor give a damn about synthetic benchmarks, etc so AMD right now as a whole platform (chip/mobo/gpu) looks really attractive to them hehe Of course those with far more heavier needs and the budget to match the LGA 1366/i7 is where it's at ^^
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
February 14, 2010 7:21:55 AM

I got a similar grin when my new triple became a Phenom quad, Asrock m3a770de mobo and Amd X3 435 for £145 (in uk time)
Gratx man, enjoy :) 
Moto
m
l
!