supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I finished putting together my new computer. Everything was recognized fine in BIOS. I then loaded up Windows 7 to install. Windows seemed to be installing smoothly. All of a sudden I have no control over the mouse and keyboard and also no monitor signal, screen goes blank. Computer then restarts after a very long time and says one of the configurations or hardware must have changed and restarted. After that, no mouse, keyboard, or monitor signal. I cant even go into Bios. Whats wrong? I see the power led and hdd led blinking once in a while.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Here are my specs:

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX - Retail

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
do not install GPU and only install one set of RAM then try again.

simple stuff like making sure all connections / wires are plugged into components correctly. is any of the hardware second hand? and what version of windows 7 did you get? was it an illegal copy?

the 700W PSU should be fine with this rig, the stuff all seems to be a good make leads me to beleive an issue with harddrive? perhaps faulty. or with motherboard. because of loss of input like mouse and keyboard and loss of visuals. also lack of any beep on boot up.

Was there a power surge? do you have a surge protector adapter between your computer and the socket?.

when you turn the computer on do you get anything at all like fan noise, harddrive noise.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

Hi all of my purchases were legal and legit all from newegg.com
I tried only hooking up the cpu/heatsink fan and psu and powering it up. I am not getting any beeps at all. Just the cpu fan spins

There was no power surge and I do have a surge protector.

Yes when I turned on the computer and all the fans spin. I get no hardrive noise.No beeps. I see LED's on the mobo being lit up. The LED read out code shows something but I can't make it out looks like a cut off "J"

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
So you have already tested the memory, or is that you don't think a problem with your memory could cause your issue. You obviously don't know much about computers nor have you take the time to read your owners manual or you would be aware that the button that says "Clr CMOS" will reset your bios instead of having to take out the battery.

So perhaps you actually listen to someone who is taking time out of their day to assist you instead of acting like you know what you are doing.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If thought I knew what I was doing, I would not be posting on here with the title being "HELP!"(big clue there genius). I have also cleared the CMOS. Also how could I test the memory if my BIOS will not even run which I told you in my first post. You may know allot about computers or not, but you sure dont know how to read. I know I cannot kick you out from replying but I hope you dont chime in anymore. I need help not someone who is going to post things that are not going to work and then belittle me.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
follow the link and you will learn how to test the mem

I read quite well actually your first post said it froze while installing windows, which means the bios had already run, it also said that everything showed up properly in the bios which would also mean the bios is functioning properly (though it may not be set properly). If you forgot what you wrote it is at the top of the page for your reference.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

Maybe your the one that should read my first post for reference smart guy.

"Computer then restarts after a very long time and says one of the configurations or hardware must have changed and restarted. After that, no mouse, keyboard, or monitor signal. I cant even go into Bios"

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
. The retail seller deemed either the cpu or mobo to be DOA and decided to replace the items. Thanks to those of you that were either supportive or provided valuable advice. Also thanks to those of you that took 1st grade reading comprehension and critical thinking.