Wifi Disconnects Frequently

jabailo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I have an old laptop (4 years) that I use as a workstation. The problem is that it seems to have problem with Wifi connectivity to my router. I replaced the router thinking that it was the problem and while it did get a little better, it still disconnects.

Not only does it disconnect but I have a lot of problems with AJAX type websites (such as ones that use Disqus for comments) because I think it has too much latency.

I have the latest driver installed. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I've done simple things like move it around, take off the bottom plate and so on.

I also have a netbook, and I can use it from the same location without any problems whatsoever.

I am looking for the lowest cost solution to this problem.

(Note: In my apartment there are jacks for cable and a satellite system that are both inactive. If I can't get good wifi to this machine, I am wondering if I can buy adapters and run my network through the cables. Thoughts? )

jabailo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I did some more testing to try and localize the problem.

My original analysis was incorrect.

Using my Android phone set to wifi mode, I was able to conclude it wasn't that specific laptop.

I could see that when the laptop disconnected, so did the android.

The wifi signal from the router itself seems to be dropping very frequently.

I even tried moving the laptop into the room near the wifi router and still got drops.

Right now I am trying to see if there is some interference maybe from a neighbors cordless phone.

I am testing with setting the wifi channel to a specific number instead of auto. So far, no difference. I tried 2 and 8 (not sure what the "best" channel is ) and now am trying 6.

I should let you know I am connected to the Internet with Clear Wimax.

I also separated the wifi and wimax routers so that they wouldn't interfere with each other. Yet still get drops.