Sign in with
Your question

Missing files from external HD after connecting it to a Samsung TV

Last response: in Windows XP
October 1, 2012 9:11:47 PM

Hi

I connected my external HD to my Samsung TV and I was able to browse its contents and play movies. Afterwards, i disconnected the drive and the next day at work I noticed that most files, including those I had played were missing.
I don't believe the files are lost, because the space remains occupied, although the files are not visible.

How can I recover the files? Does anyone's been able to recover from this situation?

Thanks,
RSousa
October 1, 2012 10:13:04 PM

It sounds like you unplugged it without shutting down the TV? Run fdisk to repair it, or:

Plug it in to your PC.
Right click on the drive letter and select Properties.
Click on the Tools tab.
Under Error-checking, click on Check Now.
Check both boxes, then Start.
October 1, 2012 10:21:41 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
It sounds like you unplugged it without shutting down the TV? Run fdisk to repair it, or:

Plug it in to your PC.
Right click on the drive letter and select Properties.
Click on the Tools tab.
Under Error-checking, click on Check Now.
Check both boxes, then Start.

Hi,

I'm trying to recover the files through Recuva, then I'll try what you're suggesting.
I don't know what happened, because I turned the tv off on the remote before unplugging the usb cable.

I'l post the results after, so it can maybe help someone else in the future.
Related resources
October 17, 2012 1:17:41 PM

Have you found a solution to the prob? Ive got same issue. Rucuva didnt work. I want my files back =\
October 17, 2012 1:32:10 PM

Hi,

I was able to recover, if not all files, at least the grand majority via Recuva.

After the recovery, I performed a checkdisk (chkdsk) with the recover option, and all was recovered.

I hope it helps,
RSousa
October 18, 2012 12:06:50 AM

I did a checkdisk last night.results were that the empty folders had an invalid link. However 600 odd files were recovered. The files were then missing from my drive. I ran through recuva again and found those 600 odd files. Although the extension on them is now a .CHK file with a random name. So i now have to go through all those files. Change the extension til i find the right one, and rename them all =\
October 19, 2012 2:24:10 AM

Never disconnect while running. Seems to be a common problem among samsung tv's. Buying a new hdd to back them up on. Reformatting old drive then storing on there again. Will be transferring what i would like to watch onto a glash drive in future, rather than running from my drives
!