Sign in with
Your question

Not a gaming PC build

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2010 9:07:44 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: Whatever it takes

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Day trading stocks/Internet research/Streaming video/no gaming

OS: Has to be Windows XP for trading software, will use XP Pro or 64 bit if software allows.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: e.g.: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Tower case,

OVERCLOCKING: No, reliability is extreamly important

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Two Matrox M9140 PCI x 16/passive cooling/low power consumption/quad DVI out

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Four Samsung 941BW 19" wide screens mounted on the wall (1440 x 900)
Two Samsung 941BW 19" wide screens on the desktop (1440 x 900)
One 19" wide screen (1940 x 1080) on the desktop in between the other two
One 24 to 26 " (194 x 1080) on top of the desk hutch for streaming video(Bloomburg/CNN)
HARDRIVES: Two 80 GB/Raid 1 (Need failover capability)

UPS: For the CPU and 1 monitor/Iphone 3G tethered for back up if DSL fails.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to be quiet so I am not distracted.
I already have the video cards.
I have three of the monitors and have the other out for about $100 ea. except the 26"

This will be my second build. The first was a 286 IBM build as a father daughter project for her grade 6 science class.
I'll bet at least 50% of you won't even know what a 286 is!!!!! We had a lot of fun doing it.

As the title sugests this machine will not see any gaming, it is stricktly purpose built. My trading software requires minimum P-4 and 1GB memory however on top of this I will be streaming video to one monitor and will also have several several web browser sessions on the go at the same time. I will use 2 GB ram for the XP. What I really need are suggestions for the processor and motherboard.

Adrian

More about : gaming build

February 13, 2010 12:57:41 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next 2 months

BUDGET RANGE: Whatever it takes

The easiest way sems to be to order 2 basic Dell Desktops and customize the videocard to handle the four monitors. Why 2 desktops? For a hotswap in case a PSU gous out ror a motherboard fries out.

If this build is about reliability you won't need leading edge processors or RAM (creates more heat and stress). Your most important component will be your network card. ADSL or cable modem (keep two of those too). I've done some day trading and when I sat down for a session and saw the my modem died, it's a good thing I didn't have a crucial trade at that minute.

I don't usually recommend Dell but I like that their components have been torture tested and they build so much in mass, they take the worry away from you trying to figure out if your components/system will be stable.

I can't really start with suggestions for processor and motherboard when being connected online for your trading requires so little CPU horsepower.

m
l
!