Power problem with HP Pavilion zt1175...help!?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2004 8:56:45 AM

Hello, all. Medium long story here....looking for help..

I have a two-year-old HP Pavilion zt1175 laptop. The other day, the
battery >poof< died, essentialy without warning. So I bought a
replacement, popped it in, everything looked good, and the laptop ran
for just under 2 hours on the battery's first full charge.

HP has an internal battery calibration routine (both in the firmware
and in Widnows) you're supposed to run on a new battery to calibrate
the laptop's internal battery gauge. I started running it, and it
advised it would be a multi-hour process to discharge and recharge the
battery, which I expected.

At the end of the discharge process, something happened. The unit
dropped power - but not completely off -- the power and battery lights
went to about half-brightness - but not off - on the front panel, and
a ** buzzz ** started coming out of the speakers. It seemed to be
getting power, but nowhere near enough to function, thus the thing
will no longer boot.

I took out the battery, running only on the AC adapter, and the same
thing - dim power/charge lights, but no boot. After several cycles of
removing the battery and replacing it with the old one and then
putting the new one back, then running it once with NO battery, it
finally came on long enough for Windows to *almost* boot, then drop
power without warning and go back into dim-light "buzz" mode.

I thought the AC adapter had gone south, but it is still putting out
19VDC per my meter. As it stands now, it looks like its running on
about half-power, leaving me to guess that something in the power
cicuitry somewhere has failed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
resuscitate this box?

Thanks,
David
August 30, 2004 2:31:31 AM

I read with interest your post regarding bad AC Power jacks on HP /
Compaq laptops.

I am an attorney who does consumer class action litigation. In fact,
that is all I do.

If you are interested in information on how class actions work in the
context you are describing, I would be happy to talk with you.

Let me know you if you are interested,

Alan Himmelfarb (who is, yes, working on this Sunday (:-(

On 15 Aug 2004 04:56:45 -0700, intrepid_dw@hotmail.com (David Whitney)
wrote:

>Hello, all. Medium long story here....looking for help..
>
>I have a two-year-old HP Pavilion zt1175 laptop. The other day, the
>battery >poof< died, essentialy without warning. So I bought a
>replacement, popped it in, everything looked good, and the laptop ran
>for just under 2 hours on the battery's first full charge.
>
>HP has an internal battery calibration routine (both in the firmware
>and in Widnows) you're supposed to run on a new battery to calibrate
>the laptop's internal battery gauge. I started running it, and it
>advised it would be a multi-hour process to discharge and recharge the
>battery, which I expected.
>
>At the end of the discharge process, something happened. The unit
>dropped power - but not completely off -- the power and battery lights
>went to about half-brightness - but not off - on the front panel, and
>a ** buzzz ** started coming out of the speakers. It seemed to be
>getting power, but nowhere near enough to function, thus the thing
>will no longer boot.
>
>I took out the battery, running only on the AC adapter, and the same
>thing - dim power/charge lights, but no boot. After several cycles of
>removing the battery and replacing it with the old one and then
>putting the new one back, then running it once with NO battery, it
>finally came on long enough for Windows to *almost* boot, then drop
>power without warning and go back into dim-light "buzz" mode.
>
>I thought the AC adapter had gone south, but it is still putting out
>19VDC per my meter. As it stands now, it looks like its running on
>about half-power, leaving me to guess that something in the power
>cicuitry somewhere has failed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
>resuscitate this box?
>
>Thanks,
>David
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2009 6:51:43 PM

I have a hp pavilion zd7000 and even though the ac adapter read 19v with a meter, it was defective and had similiar symptoms as you described. I guess it just couldn't handle the load. My battery was not charged either. You may indeed have had a bad ac adapter and a dead battery. I had another 19v laptop battery but only half the amp rating, I let it charge the laptop for awhile then it powered up. I then bought a new adaptor and everything was fine.
!