Status
Not open for further replies.

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I have a new build but im not 100% sure on the ssd and hdd setup. its my first time using the ssd. i have the OCZ 60gb which may not be enough i have already installed windows 7 ultimate but i dont see the hdd in windows. i can see the hdd in the bios but thats it. can things like the adobe flash player and games be installed on the hdd and if so how do you do it? i have looked up the regedit stuff with not much success instrustions werent very good.

case: Dialblotek EVO ATX mid tower
mobo: asus p8z68 v gen 3
cpu: i5 2500k
cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212+
psu: cooler master gtx 650w rs-650-acaa-e3
hdd: hitachi 500g 7200rpm
ssd: ocz 60g
blueray lg

Solution
(1) 60 Gig SSD, while yes it is OK for a OS + Program drive, it is Not considered plenty.
60 gig is the Min size with the Recommended size being 90->128 Gig. In your case you have already bought the 60 Gig drive. Recommend you use it as a OS +Program drive, NOT as a Cache drive for the HDD - You will find that most articals/reviews also recommend this. In My systems (4 of them) windows only takes up about 35->40 gigs and that is using the tweeks found below. I have no games installed. and remember USABLE space on a 60 gig SSD is about 50 gigs.

2) On Page file. Windows will allocate up to 1 1/2 Ram size for page file. My recommendation here is to set Min / Max to the same size and w/4Gigs ram set min/max to 1024 mbs. with ^ gigs...

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

yes i did thanks thought. i restarted and now i can see it but as for the rest of my question can i install software on the hdd and it be usable for windows ?

1) use diskpart (or easeus partition magic) to format your HDD and assign a drive letter for windows to recognize it: http://www.hdd-tool.com/partition-magic/use-diskpart-command-to-resize-partitions.htm

2) 60GB is PLENTY of room for windows and a few games/programs, just be sure to use less than 80% of the drive, just like a HDD, so that windows dosn't start freaking out on you.

3) You can change the cache setting for adobe and other programs... but it would slow down the computer (as you would run them off the HDD instead of the SSD), and they don't take a ton of space, so this is not suggested. I would go into your browser and change your download location to the HDD, and go to your libraries and move your documents/mustic/movies folders to the HDD as those are things that will eat space, but do not benefit a whole lot from being on a SSD (because they only need to be read at real-time speed which a HDD from the mid '90's can do just fine, much less a new one).

4) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html Make sure to follow this guide to get the most out of the SSD for speed and longevity. Be weary of turning off the page file as it can cause issues if you run out of system memory, but if you are a normal user with 4GB of ram it should be safe. If you are a power user playing games and doing a lot of multi-tasking I would not turn it off unless you have 8GB. If you do ANY HD video editing then do not turn it off ever. Turning it off will save you as many GB of SSD space as you have in RAM (so this gets important to turn off if you are running 8 or 16GB of ram on a 60GB SSD).

5) If you are seriously unsure about your file management, and are affraid you will fill the drive up on accident then I would suggest starting over and installing to the HDD and then using the SSD as a cache. Follow the instructions for using Intel RST and you will get speed 'near' that of your SSD for things you use a lot, but without having to worry about filling up your drive, or doing something wrong. Obviously, caching technology is not perfect, so some things will not run fast all the time, but it is a good compromise.

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks thats a great amount of detail. if it is a larger game should i put it on hdd and stuff like my anti virus should be on the ssd?

(1) 60 Gig SSD, while yes it is OK for a OS + Program drive, it is Not considered plenty.
60 gig is the Min size with the Recommended size being 90->128 Gig. In your case you have already bought the 60 Gig drive. Recommend you use it as a OS +Program drive, NOT as a Cache drive for the HDD - You will find that most articals/reviews also recommend this. In My systems (4 of them) windows only takes up about 35->40 gigs and that is using the tweeks found below. I have no games installed. and remember USABLE space on a 60 gig SSD is about 50 gigs.

2) On Page file. Windows will allocate up to 1 1/2 Ram size for page file. My recommendation here is to set Min / Max to the same size and w/4Gigs ram set min/max to 1024 mbs. with ^ gigs and greater set nin/max to 512 mbs. Myself, I have 16 gigs of ram and set min/max to 512 mbs. Some (few) programs will baulk if No page files is found. If you get a "out of memory effer" simply incerease page file. You can set to the HDD, but 512 mbs is no biggy.

What will save an amount of space equal to Ram is turning off Hibernation. - No Biggy as turn on time is fast with a SSD anyway.

Move MY documents folder and Internet Temp dirrectorys (folders) to HDD. (Unsure just google it).

Manage restore space as over time this will eat up a lot of disk space, and it can not be offloaded to HDD. Myself I disable it and rely on periodically re-imaging the SSD using windows back-up which is located in control panel. Again a simple goole will provide the "How to"

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.