Intel Core i7 turbo boost and speedstep not working

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I have a core i7 930 processor and a Intel X58 motherboard.

Today, I decided to turn on SpeedStep (it is called CPU idle state on my BIOS and I set it to Low Power Mode so that the OS can lower the processor multiplier when not doing heavy work and save power). But when I started Windows 7 and opened Core Temp, the multiplier is set to 21 instead of 12.

And Turbo Boost which makes my multiplier go upto 22 is not working. I enabled turbo boost and turned off Speedstep and opened Core Temp to check my multiplier, but instead of a having a multiplier of 22, I just have the default 21.

This didn't happen a couple of days ago and they are both working fine but now they are having problems.

Could CPU Stressing or benchmarking caused this to happen?

Because I ran benchmarks and Prime95 a few times and my temp reaches 80 degree celsius during Prime95.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Reset BIOS to default settings. All of the above should be on default on your board. But eh before you do that. Check to see if your board needs a BIOS update to run the 930 as well. Since it is a new cpu I would bet that your current BIOS does not have official support for it.