Your question

Overclock ratio

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2012 12:45:59 AM

hey, im trying to get a ratio of 1:1

with my Cpu at 3.2ghz (stock)
Ram from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz and timings set down to 9-9-9-27

(^Thats all ive done so far^)

getting a ratio of 1:1 is having my ram set at that possible? if so. how do i get a ratio of 1:1 with the settings above?

also i haven't touched mt voltages.

More about : overclock ratio

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 102 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 1:14:32 AM

A ratio of 1:1?

You mean, you want your ram to be running at the same "MHz" as your CPU?

If so, 1) STOP overclocking right now, and go read up on it. What you're asking for would break your computer far before you go there.

2) Read about how various parts work... Ram can be slower just fine, and "MHz" isn't a reliable measurement of speed, even between two CPUS, much less a processor and ram.
m
l
November 14, 2012 1:43:11 AM

DarkSable said:
A ratio of 1:1?

You mean, you want your ram to be running at the same "MHz" as your CPU?

If so, 1) STOP overclocking right now, and go read up on it. What you're asking for would break your computer far before you go there.

2) Read about how various parts work... Ram can be slower just fine, and "MHz" isn't a reliable measurement of speed, even between two CPUS, much less a processor and ram.

well lets say im not aiming for 1:1

keeping my Cpu stock at 3.2Ghz
and setting the Mhz of my ram to 1600Mhz by using the system memory multiplier and dropping the timings without touching the Bclk speed or anything els or voltages going to bottleneck anything?

Or would it be better to balance out the bclk speed with the memory multiplier to equal to 3.2ghz while trying to either get 1600mhz off my ram or near?

lol im new to this and i am reading on most of this im also on a X58
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 102 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 1:58:26 AM

Bunchies said:
well lets say im not aiming for 1:1

keeping my Cpu stock at 3.2Ghz
and setting the Mhz of my ram to 1600Mhz by using the system memory multiplier and dropping the timings without touching the Bclk speed or anything els or voltages going to bottleneck anything?

Or would it be better to balance out the bclk speed with the memory multiplier to equal to 3.2ghz while trying to either get 1600mhz off my ram or near?

lol im new to this and i am reading on most of this im also on a X58

Please don't touch the BLCK... if you raise it more than a little, you fry your USB, SATA, and RAM ports.

You said you had already raised your ram to 1600MHz and lowered the timings to a CAS 9? That's about standard for ram, and the fastest that an Intel CPU gets ANY benefit from anyways.

Uhm, I don't understand that second to last sentence... What is it that you're trying to achieve, stated clearly?

No overclock on the CPU, but RAM bumped to 1600@9?
m
l
November 14, 2012 2:43:31 AM

exaclty. i heard about 1:1 ratio with bclk and the cpu

and didnt wanna bottleneck
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 102 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 2:51:50 AM

Okay. I have no idea what the ratio you're talking about it, but don't do it.

Keep your BLCK at 100, if it's an Intel rig. Do not touch it. Period.

What exactly are you afraid is going to be a bottleneck? Your RAM? Don't worry about it - 1600MHz is as fast as Intel can use anyways.
m
l
November 14, 2012 4:14:21 AM

lol ok. its just some stupid 1:1 ratio i heard on the internet btw

and it made me want to rethink my overclock of
everything stock and upping the ram multiplier to equal my ram to 1600Mhz
and adjusting timings

the 1:1 ratio thing got me really confused about my settings.
but im gunna keep what i have

haha but i didnt learn alot about overclocking that i didnt know before :sol: 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 102 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 4:23:17 AM

Haha, yeah. If I were you, I'd ignore the ratio - even if it was understood correctly, it makes no sense.
m
l
!