Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Extending Fan Cord Length

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2012 1:04:25 AM

I have recently purchased a whole set of cool master blade master fans for my water cooling setup and man these cords are short! I want to add some length, but have no idea how to do it. I get the basic idea would be strip back the rubber insulation, solder the new wire together, heat shrink around the wires. What kind of wire should I use to add the length? Will doing this reduce the amount of power the fans will be able to push? Quick replies would be awesome so that I can get these cords all setup before my equipment gets to me on wednesday! Want to play the new COD at least once before I leave for Turkey day :( 

Best solution

a c 88 K Overclocking
November 14, 2012 11:23:11 AM

It is exactly that conundrum that got me into sleeving and more radical mods than a nip or two on a case. You can simply get 4 pin extenders like this Akasa PWM Extension Fan Cable http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11779/cab-371/Akasa_P... (I sometimes do that).
Or, yes, you can solder an extension to the fan wire although doing that does void any warranty the fan has. I do that with 18ga stranded wire (and then sleeve it). Because of the short distance there should be no appreciable dropoff either method used

EDIT: Realized that extension was fairly short - here's a much longer option: ModRight Black-Out Series 4-Pin PWM Extension Cable - 48" http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16437/cab-953/ModRigh...
November 15, 2012 1:08:09 PM

Buy a fan controller. It will come with 3 pin connector cables that are like 1 foot in length. And a $30 controller usually have like 5 fan connector cables for you.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 4:05:26 PM

I will go to the store today thanks for the quick reply on the wire I need. As for fan controller I have 4 pin not 3 pin and my case came with the fan controller built in but can't use it because of that issue. Wanted pwm so I don't have to worry about anything.
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:42:02 AM

Best answer selected by jgonzo.
m
l
!