Problems with Acer Aspire 3620 RAM

DrownTheSky

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
:hello: Hello, everyone! Recently, I noticed that my laptop, an Acer Aspire 3620 running Windows XP Home SP3, was acting sluggish. I ran Belarc Advisor to see if something was wrong with my hardware and the program reported that only 256 MB of RAM was installed. My laptop came with 512 MB RAM so I thought one of the two 256MB modules failed. After opening the back of my laptop, I removed both modules and reinstalled them. I then went into BIOS. It still said 256 MB. So I shut it down, removed the back again and removed the top module and left the bottom one intact. It still read 256 MB when I booted into BIOS. I then shut it back down and removed the bottom module and re-installed the top module. I turned the laptop on and nothing happened. It turns out that the top RAM slot is somehow not working. I don't know if it is due to dust or heat, but I do know I'm stuck using XP with only 256 MB of RAM and it takes forever for programs to load and I can only run one program at a time. Multi-tasking freezes the computer. Can anyone here tell me what to do to fix my RAM problem? I have planned on upgrading my RAM but it would be pointless if the top RAM slot doesn't work.

So to recap, it is just the slot causing all the problems.

A couple easy things to try:
1. If you have compressed air blow-out the RAM sockets. Clean the RAM contacts with a pencil eraser, wipe-off with alcohol, and while moist reinstall both modules. Restart.

2. RUN MSCONFIG, select Diagnostic Start-up.

Q - Did you make any recent changes in the BIOS?

TRENDING THREADS