[help]SSD not being recognized

hollaj05

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I was working on some homework, when my computer stopped responding after about 20 seconds I got a blue screen; however, it went by so quickly that I couldn't read anything on the screen. After the blue screen it forced a restart, and after that it no longer recognized my SSD, but it would find my HDD and CD drive.

The SSD is an OCZ 120GB Vertex Plus

Here is what I've tried so far:
I've checked all the connections to make sure nothing was lose it wasn't
moved the SATA cable to a new header on the mobo
Went into BIOS tried switching it to AHCI instead of IDE neither found/recognized the SSD

Both of these it wouldn't detect the SSD; however, if I completely unhooked the SSD it would move from trying to detect all IDE drives almost immediately; instead, of taking almost a minute too tell me there wasn't a master drive.

Any advice on how to make it recognize the SSD would be greatly appreciated I'm out of ideas and currently sitting on a computer paper weight; granted. I'm not opposed to reformatting if needed, but I don't have another desktop too hook it into only a laptop, and not sure how to try and insert it in said laptop.

hollaj05

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I tried several different SATA ports thinking maybe the header was faulty after a few days; however, that didn't change anything with it being detected. The only other PC I've got available too me is a dell studio XPS 1647, and I'm not sure I could get the laptop too recognize it, nor sadly em I entirely sure I know how to try doing that. I've got an eSATA port, but no cable for eSATA nor a way too power the SSD while trying that.

You Said Quote: Went into BIOS tried switching it to AHCI instead of IDE neither found/recognized the SSD End quote.

Question, Why did you have to switch to AHCI then back to IDE. IDE = BAD. SSD should have been in ahci mode before installing window 7.

Might want to check out OCZ website for a bootable linux with OCZ tools one it. While normally used tocheck firmware version and secure erease,it will also show if SSD can be seen, if Linux can not see SSD most likely you will need to RMA it.
They also have a tool box for windows, But then that requires a system with windows on it and the SSD installed as a sata port using ahci.

If you can read see the SSD, recommend that you do a secure erease and re-install windows 7 - A. with BIOS set to AHCI, and B. With the HDD disconnected untill after Windows is installed on the SSD.

hollaj05

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I was having booting issues with AHCI, and from what I read I never intended to insert HDDs/SSDs on the fly, as I've got all that I could forseeably need for memory in the future with the SSD and HDD storage. I neither claim to be the smartest on multiple SSD/HDD nor did I claim that I simply did what I forum searched and found that worked for others repeatedly over many threads/articles. I troubleshoot fine if I know the required things too look for/do. I will try checking the OCZ website; however, would I unhook the SSD during that while trying to install the OS?

You have two issues then that need to be solved:
(1) How to get the SSD back, can it be resolved by you, or does it require an RMA - at this stage it is Unknown.
(2) Correct the issue with IDE/ahci. This needs to be corrected for two or three reasons.
...(A) As stated for SSD, IDE = BAD ( not my words, but if you run AS SSD that is exactly what it will show. It does reduce performance.
...(B) this could also relate to why you got a Blue Screen in the first place. Which means that even if you get the SSD to boot again - you probnably will have a reaccurrence.
..(3) has to be a third as problems allways come in threes

The hard way, and hopefully as a good computer user you have all of your files/data backed up.

This is what I'd do. Disconnect the SSD. With the HDD (Hopefully this is a newer HDD that is AHCI enabled). I would create a 90 ->100 gig partition. I would then Install windows to this partition With Bios set to AHCI.- Only need min installation/windows updates/drivers.

You know have a system that you can use to help troubleshoot your SSD know and NEXT month/year.

Troubleshoot SSD. If you can see it in Bios with ahci enabled then DISCONNECT the HDD and try re-installing windows 7 on it.
If You are sussefull then reconnect the HDD. NOTE set the Boot priority to SSD, leave windows 7 on the HDD (Only using 90->100 gigs. At any point if you need to boot to windows 7 on the HDD, then - easy way, just hit the key that brings up a boot menu duing the post., or hard way, just change boot prioity in Bios.

Added: when tring to help others, it is helfull to others if you post a little more info such as MB and HDD. - Other problems require more info such as PSU/GPU.