Sign in with
Your question

How to calcualte wattage of smps

Last response: in Components
April 21, 2010 9:19:29 AM

Hi iam new here :bounce: 
i have a old smps i dont know the wattage of the smps i know the wattage is written on the box but the seal on the smps is broken :cry:  whn i purchased it so it must be compromised so iam not sure its of the same wattage provided on box so is there any soft. which will report the wattage of smps

spec:
amd 4600+Dual core
2gb ddr2 800mhz ram
Asus HD 4650 DDR-2 512Mb ram
asus motherboard

So any idea

More about : calcualte wattage smps

April 21, 2010 10:02:35 AM

There is no software to determine that. The only sure way would be to open up the thing, then search on the net for the load capacity of the components inside your psu.

Or, if you're lucky there would be a serial or model number that you could search on the net if that is indeed the power supply that you bought.
m
l
April 21, 2010 10:10:05 AM

how??
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 10:14:39 AM

kdhallu said:
how??

The serial or model number may be inside the psu, though I couldn't guarantee that there would be one.

Did you buy this at a store? If so, try to get a replacement. If not, then I'm pretty much out of ideas.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 21, 2010 3:19:54 PM

First, I don't recall ever hearing the acronym "smps". Apparently you're talking about a power supply. If so, IMHO you are wasting your time trying to determine the wattage by looking at the components. Even if you had an accurate schematic it would take hours of calculations & research of the components to reverse engineer. You're asking for trouble if you use something you know this little about, especially since QUALITY PSUs are relatively cheap.
m
l
April 22, 2010 4:22:13 AM

ram1009 said:
Even if you had an accurate schematic it would take hours of calculations & research of the components to reverse engineer. .

No, it really doesn't take "a lot of hours". Maybe around 1 hour or so. It's also easier than you think, it just involves a screwdriver and a lot of googling.

An example of a psu inspection:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/534/3

m
l
!