Intel K Series and Intels Overclocking Policy

hardcorepcgamer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
So yeah, I was just in live chat with Intel about whether I could use an 1156 compatible cpu cooler with an 1155 (which btw, yes you can they are the same fan size) and during the conversation I mentioned it was because I wanted to overclock my 2500k.

Well the rep gives me this copy and paste spiel about how Intel does not support overclocking and doing so can void the warranty. I might just be dense but can someone tell me what the point of the unlocked multiplier is if they do not support overclocking???

hardcorepcgamer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Well it's just funny to me that they would have an entirely separate series with an unlocked multiplier that is obviously for overclocking but then go so far as to "void" the warranty if you overclock your CPU. Go figure.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
They have no control over how much you overclock the CPU, so they don't want to accept liability for what it does to the CPU. We think that safe overclocking procedures are safe, so we accept a tiny bit of liability when we do the overclocking. I'm writing this on a core 2 duo at 3.8GHz, which has been running that way 24/7 for almost 2.5 years. My home computer is just over 2 years old and has been running a core 2 quad at 3.4GHz for that time, but it doesn't run 24/7. I have absolutely no worries about either of them, I don't care what Intel thinks about it as long as they never lock us out completely.

Once you start overclocking its outside of intended design specs, the design specs have leeway and overhead which ends up providing OC space for the CPU, but they wont promise that it will work right once you up the speed, or that it wont burst into flames once you up the voltage beyond the stated limits because they dont test at that level, and if they did they would be selling them to you at that speed, it saves them the money of doing warranty support everytime someone ups the voltage too much and cooks a CPU or complains that their file got corrupted even though they were running an unstable OC and 2+2 occasionally equaled 5.

Why does Jeep show people offroading in their vehicles on commercials
BUT if you bring your Jeep into the service center for warranty repair
they denie you if they find mud and water in your air cleaner?
True Story
I was standing by a poster of a Jeep Wrangler going thru a stream
as the service rep was telling me my warranty was denied
LOL

Both AMD and Intel do not support overclocking. If your CPU fries when overclocking, you are responsable. Thats their stance.

They give CPUs for overclocking because they know their CPUs can handle it but there are people who will push it too far and they wont be responsable for it. Much like a car comapny wont be responsable for you red-lining your car and blowing the engine.

hardcorepcgamer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

LMAO "pwned ya noooob"..thats not an actual Intel commerical is it?? It seems to be on the Intel channel. Cuz if so thats mighty contradictory to their stance.

you must try the skeleton cost here they got some tough trails up there seen a few jeeps dissapear there lol

After having a kid the I gave up the offroading
expensive and can be dangerous (nearly had my jeep rollover off the side of a pretty good size hill)

Now I plan on getting my daughter an older mustang (mid to late 90s) and fix that up
Of course good ole dad will have to borrow once in awhile Heh-Heh

Back to the subject of the post

Many different companies other than Intel and also not in the computer world
practice this double standard

I used Jeeps as an example and completely went off the thread
sorry to the OP

Look at video cards
they sell oc editions
but if they can prove you OCd above the rated clock and the video card
failed they can void your warranty though in reality this doesnt happen
often

and again look at cars

If you put an aftermarket part like a turbo or a new computer chip
in your Mustang,Civic Si or Camaro then your warranty is voided
Even though these cars sell primarily because of their speed and abiltiy to be modified

The corporate world is all about waivers and denying liability even when it doesnt
make logical sense