GRRRR, Photo Partition.... Can I Get Rid of It?

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Well I just received my 5504 refurb and set it up. Everything went very
smoothly, as this is my third unit. However, during setup (as always) I
told it *not* to create a photo partition. Yet DVArchive reports that this
machine has a photo partition. Physically checking the machine shows there
is indeed a photo partition, which I don't want and will never use. I
realize it doesn't consume that much space, but I'd like to use all space
for shows. Is there any way (without opening the machine) to force a
reconfig so I can get rid of the photo partition? I've browsed the manual
and looked all through the machine's setup, but I can't see a way to do it.
Am I stuck with a photo partition unless I want to open the box and use
RTVPatch?

Thanks and Regards,

Margaret
9 answers Last reply
More about grrrr photo partition
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:46:52 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >Well I just received my 5504 refurb and set it up. Everything went very
    >smoothly, as this is my third unit. However, during setup (as always) I
    >told it *not* to create a photo partition. Yet DVArchive reports that this
    >machine has a photo partition.

    What's it's size? AFAIK, there is always a photo partition. You can't
    eliminate it, but just make it smaller.

    > Physically checking the machine shows there
    >is indeed a photo partition, which I don't want and will never use. I
    >realize it doesn't consume that much space, but I'd like to use all space
    >for shows. Is there any way (without opening the machine) to force a
    >reconfig so I can get rid of the photo partition? I've browsed the manual
    >and looked all through the machine's setup, but I can't see a way to do it.
    >Am I stuck with a photo partition unless I want to open the box and use
    >RTVPatch?
    >

    You can change the photo partition with RTVPatch (at least in some
    cases). There is no way to do it on the Replay itself, other than
    doing a factory reset and losing all the other settings you've made as
    well as any shows you've recorded.

    >Thanks and Regards,
    >
    >Margaret
    >

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    In article <7f0sa11rd5m1lme507du4kjsc8udtns0tu@4ax.com>,
    Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

    > What's it's size? AFAIK, there is always a photo partition. You can't
    > eliminate it, but just make it smaller.

    Well, DVArchive reports that I have NO photo partition on either of my
    50xx units.

    I upgraded them with the patcher, and told it no photo partition.
    Seemed to work fine...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    See comments within text....

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    news:7f0sa11rd5m1lme507du4kjsc8udtns0tu@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:46:52 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > What's it's size? AFAIK, there is always a photo partition. You can't
    > eliminate it, but just make it smaller.

    It was 1GB. During setup, it just asks if you want a photo partition,
    doesn't ask how large to make it. I always tell it "no photo partition,"
    but this time it freaked out and made one. Or it seemed to, now DVArchive
    reports no photo partition. When I go to the photo viewer on the machine,
    it now says "no space available in photo partition." Very strange, but I'm
    glad I didn't lose a gig to photo space that I'll never use.

    > You can change the photo partition with RTVPatch (at least in some
    > cases). There is no way to do it on the Replay itself, other than
    > doing a factory reset and losing all the other settings you've made as
    > well as any shows you've recorded.

    In this case, losing everything wouldn't be a problem, as I just set up the
    machine. I tend to delete shows after I watch them, unless I plan to keep
    them. Then I move them to my DVArchive machine and sometimes burn them to
    DVD. All I'd really mind losing would be my many scheduled recordings. But
    since it's rerun season now, I don't record much anyway, just the occasional
    movie, etc.

    Regards,

    Margaret
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Yep, both my 5040s report no photo partition. Suddenly my new 5504 is
    reporting the same thing, which makes me very happy. :-)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
    news:elmop-2CDB08.20313613062005@nntp1.usenetserver.com...
    > In article <7f0sa11rd5m1lme507du4kjsc8udtns0tu@4ax.com>,
    > Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
    >
    >> What's it's size? AFAIK, there is always a photo partition. You can't
    >> eliminate it, but just make it smaller.
    >
    > Well, DVArchive reports that I have NO photo partition on either of my
    > 50xx units.
    >
    > I upgraded them with the patcher, and told it no photo partition.
    > Seemed to work fine...
    >
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:57:21 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >See comments within text....
    >
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >news:7f0sa11rd5m1lme507du4kjsc8udtns0tu@4ax.com...
    >> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:46:52 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    >> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> What's it's size? AFAIK, there is always a photo partition. You can't
    >> eliminate it, but just make it smaller.
    >
    >It was 1GB. During setup, it just asks if you want a photo partition,
    >doesn't ask how large to make it.

    If that's the Replay setup, the software must have changed.

    When I set up my 3 5xxx units, I was asked for a size with NO option
    for "no photo partition". The minimum size was 1GB, although RTVPatch
    could make it smaller.

    > I always tell it "no photo partition,"
    >but this time it freaked out and made one. Or it seemed to, now DVArchive
    >reports no photo partition. When I go to the photo viewer on the machine,
    >it now says "no space available in photo partition." Very strange, but I'm
    >glad I didn't lose a gig to photo space that I'll never use.
    >
    >> You can change the photo partition with RTVPatch (at least in some
    >> cases). There is no way to do it on the Replay itself, other than
    >> doing a factory reset and losing all the other settings you've made as
    >> well as any shows you've recorded.
    >
    >In this case, losing everything wouldn't be a problem, as I just set up the
    >machine.

    OK. Note that you can use RTVPatch to make some changes without losing
    data. Also, once you get the Replay set up, you can use RTVPatch to
    make a backup so you won't have to do that same setup again (such as
    if you have to replace the machine with another 5xxx or restore the
    software after disk corruption).

    > I tend to delete shows after I watch them, unless I plan to keep
    >them. Then I move them to my DVArchive machine and sometimes burn them to
    >DVD. All I'd really mind losing would be my many scheduled recordings. But
    >since it's rerun season now, I don't record much anyway, just the occasional
    >movie, etc.
    >

    I have about 55 theme channels at this time. If you don't know about
    theme channels, you should. You can enter the NAME of a show and get
    all episodes regardless of time or channel.

    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret
    >

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    news:ghqta1t9v9f1f8vi4nvpca7gg2a3jovver@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:57:21 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    > <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > If that's the Replay setup, the software must have changed.
    >
    > When I set up my 3 5xxx units, I was asked for a size with NO option
    > for "no photo partition". The minimum size was 1GB, although RTVPatch
    > could make it smaller.

    Yep, that's Replay setup. Must be new.

    > I have about 55 theme channels at this time. If you don't know about
    > theme channels, you should. You can enter the NAME of a show and get
    > all episodes regardless of time or channel.

    But can you make a theme channel that only records NEW shows, not reruns? I
    don't really want to record every Law & Order that's on, for example, as TNT
    often broadcasts the same show twice in one day!

    Regards,

    Margaret
  7. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:29:03 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

    >
    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >news:ghqta1t9v9f1f8vi4nvpca7gg2a3jovver@4ax.com...
    >> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:57:21 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
    >> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> If that's the Replay setup, the software must have changed.
    >>
    >> When I set up my 3 5xxx units, I was asked for a size with NO option
    >> for "no photo partition". The minimum size was 1GB, although RTVPatch
    >> could make it smaller.
    >
    >Yep, that's Replay setup. Must be new.
    >
    >> I have about 55 theme channels at this time. If you don't know about
    >> theme channels, you should. You can enter the NAME of a show and get
    >> all episodes regardless of time or channel.
    >
    >But can you make a theme channel that only records NEW shows, not reruns?

    Only if you leave recordings on the Replay. It will skip a recording
    if:

    1. The episode has a title

    2. That episode is already recorded, and the recording is still on the
    Replay.

    > I
    >don't really want to record every Law & Order that's on, for example, as TNT
    >often broadcasts the same show twice in one day!
    >

    I don't care for the duplicates either, but it's a small thing to give
    up for the convenience of having the Replay automatically find and
    record things you want.

    >Regards,
    >
    >Margaret
    >

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
  8. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > But can you make a theme channel that only records NEW shows, not reruns? I
    > don't really want to record every Law & Order that's on, for example, as TNT
    > often broadcasts the same show twice in one day!

    One of the recording options is "First Run Episodes Only" in which case
    if the "Channel Guide" knows it's a repeat, it's ignored

    Problem is..... If the show is "in reruns" then all episodes are
    repeats, even the ones you want (Or in syndication)

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
    Diabetic? http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes
  9. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:52:52 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >
    >
    >Margaret Wilson wrote:
    >> But can you make a theme channel that only records NEW shows, not reruns? I
    >> don't really want to record every Law & Order that's on, for example, as TNT
    >> often broadcasts the same show twice in one day!
    >
    >One of the recording options is "First Run Episodes Only" in which case
    >if the "Channel Guide" knows it's a repeat, it's ignored
    >
    >Problem is..... If the show is "in reruns" then all episodes are
    >repeats, even the ones you want (Or in syndication)

    And that same episode will show EXACTLY THE SAME for each of the
    multiple times it's shown.

    Then there's the opposite problem: When a new show is on several
    times, all times will be marked as "first run". That flag is of very
    little value when stations repeat a show in the same day.

    The Replay actually has the desired feature (at least for shows with
    episode titles). Use a theme channel and don't delete anything. Then,
    the Replay will avoid recording duplicates.

    BTW, the above helps explain the reason for one of the features I
    wanted (and never got): a "watched" flag for each recorded show (for
    example, a show would appear in orange on the Replay guide if you've
    already played it).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    "The idea that there is an invisible being who
    created and still runs this old universe is so
    childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
    believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
    still fall for that scam."
Ask a new question

Read More

ReplayTV Photo Partition Home Theatre