Intel DX58SO2 Blue SATA Ports

Bacon12

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I built this computer using the Intel DX58SO2 Mobo, I noted two blue SATA ports on the board, but did not see any documentation explaining what they were for. I plugged in my two Raid0 drives into the black SATA ports installed 64 bit windows 7, and everything seemed fine, except, the data transfer rates from the raid array seemed slower that it should... I then discovered that the 2 BLUE connectors on the MB are for 6GB/s sata and the 6 BLACK connectors on the MB are for 3GB/s sata...

My question is; Can I switch my raid0 drives over to the blue ports to take advantage of the increased speeds without reinstalling windows and starting completely over? If I can, is there a specific method I should follow, or is it as simple as simply switching them over?

Thank you!

Solution
The answer is no.

The blue ports are connected to a Marvell ROC (RAID on Chip) also known as a SATA controller with minimal RAID capabilities. The Marvell controller is 6Gb/s.

I doubt you will see a performance difference between 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s because your 2 drives will most likely not max out the bandwidth of a 3Gb/s BUS.

By the way, doughts is spelled doubts...

Daniel87

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
The answer is no.

The blue ports are connected to a Marvell ROC (RAID on Chip) also known as a SATA controller with minimal RAID capabilities. The Marvell controller is 6Gb/s.

I doubt you will see a performance difference between 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s because your 2 drives will most likely not max out the bandwidth of a 3Gb/s BUS.

By the way, doughts is spelled doubts...

Solution

Bacon12

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks!

Bacon12

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Best answer selected by Bacon12.
n
nI've since learned that the 300G WD Velociraptors I have in the raid array are SATA 3 anyway... Sooo... The issue is moot anyway... Man, I sure wish SSD's were not so darned expensive! I ran the Windows Experience Index app, and got a score of 7.9 accross the board, the sole exception being a 6.2 on the Primary Hard Disk category... I'm told that I should be happy with the 6.2, as most people, even running a raid 0 array are getting 5.9... So, I'm just going to be happy!
n
nThanks again for all the responses!

TRENDING THREADS