Which motherboard is the best one for 17 950?

neo1255

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hello,
I am not a techie, and not very familiar with computer hardware. I am trying to get a desktop assembled(for the first time). I have an i7 - 950 processor, and I am trying to find out the best mother noard for this processor, both costwise and performance wise.

I would mostly use my machine for gaming. (I would also use it for studies, and learning programming, but i dont thaink that needs much processing power)
1) Could you please suggest some good motherboards?

2) I see that Intel has its DX58SO and WX58BP. and Asus has its Rampage series. I also see that Asus Rampage Xtreme is priced higher than Intel motherboards. Why is it so? What advantages does the Rampage Xtreme offer over intel's mother boards?

Welcome Newcomer! :)

It is all about Budget, what is your budget and need?

The ASUS Rampage __, has more power available to the MOBO and components e.g. CPU for extreme OC. Similarly, other expensive X58 MOBO costs vary by number of linkable GPUs/Graphic Cards {number of SLI/CF PCIe (1-4 GPUs)}, features {USB 3, SATA 3, RAID, # of SATA ports, optical sound I/O, etc}, and Power {MOSFETS/Phases/etc}.

A good all around MOBO is the $220 ASUS P6X58D-E - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641