Idle temps on i3-3220 with Arctic Silver 5 higher than factory paste

deaf to light

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I had to buy 3 computers for the office, all i3-3220 CPUs on stock Intel coolers. With the one I was going to be using, I cleaned the stock paste off and put on Arctic Silver, as I might end up overclocking. The other two I just left the factory paste on and put the heatsink on. Unfortunately, HWMonitor reports the idle temps to be 33-39 on the one I put AS5 on. CoreTemp reports lower temps, around 31-37, but I've known CoreTemp to always report lower. The ones where I didn't change the paste idle under 30.

I cleaned and tinted the heatsink and pasted the CPU again, but same result. I tried the one-stripe method (recommended on AS5's site) and the two-stripe method. I know it takes time to settle, but I've waited and it hasn't really lowered. I haven't seen anything to worry about under load yet, so I'm not too worried, but it seems a little strange. Or I'm just unbelievably bad at pasting and don't know it. I attached a picture to show.

Also, somewhat unrelated, has anyone figured out why CPU-Z shows the i3 as an i5?

tempsdw.jpg

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
You'd expect a 2degree drop , not a 9 degree rise , strange . I just replaced paste on my cooler and saw a big drop in temps . I use a pea sized blob in the middle of cpu with 4 micro spots 4mm inside of the corners . When I have removed coolers always see that I get close to 100% coverage , and temps so far have dropped from 4c to 10c , depending on cpu/ heatsink combo . I use OCZ Freeze , not that it makes much of a diff
I would try putting the paste on again , remember to much is bad

TRENDING THREADS