Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build PC problem

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 23, 2010 12:45:21 PM

Hello,
I have a problem with a new build PC. After being off for a long time 8-12 hours widows 7 wont boot properly. It crashes while loading Widows and reboots. Newly updated Bios wont detect RAM 1600MHZ only sees 1333MHZ. If OC tweaked than 1600Mhz (but still get problem)Ran memtest - ok, did burn in of HDD and CPU - ok, did Dr Web live cd - ok

System:
MOBO: Asus P7P55D pro
CPU: i5 760
RAM: 2+2GB Partiot 1600Mhz 12800
HDD: 1 T seagate
VGA: GT 465
PS: 750 W high Performance
OS: Widows 7 64-bit

Please reply email:

More about : build problem

a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 1:00:38 PM

Go into BIOS restore to default settings and see if the crash happens again or not.

But when you say crash what do you mean by that? Do you get BSOD's or the PC just reboots from the Windows 7 loading screen?
September 23, 2010 1:41:23 PM

tried resetting the setting to default, mind you it will show DRAM as 1333 MHZ, and i will still get the problem. What i mean by crash is that when windows 7 begins to load and you get those 4 balls forming into a windows logo, half way through it freezes for 2-3 secs and reboots back to express gate (no blue sceen of death). Also i experience a delay with connection to VGA when booting take 5-6 sec to detect.

Please help stuck on the problem for 2 weeks
Related resources
September 26, 2010 6:59:58 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Go into BIOS restore to default settings and see if the crash happens again or not.

But when you say crash what do you mean by that? Do you get BSOD's or the PC just reboots from the Windows 7 loading screen?


tried resetting the setting to default, mind you it will show DRAM as 1333 MHZ, and i will still get the problem. What i mean by crash is that when windows 7 begins to load and you get those 4 balls forming into a windows logo, half way through it freezes for 2-3 secs and reboots back to express gate (no blue sceen of death). Also i experience a delay with connection to VGA when booting take 5-6 sec to detect.

Please help stuck on the problem for 2 weeks
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 12:59:17 PM

A driver/application starting to load at boot time is crashing and restarting your computer.

Remove all peripheral components, if you have any. Then try to boot into Safe Mode. If your computer can boot into Safe Mode, then type msconfig in to the Run box at Start Menu. If you do not have Run command at Start Menu, you can make it appear when you right-click the Start button (the round shaped button at the far left with Windows logo). Choose Properties and then Select Customize..

When you open msconfig, you will have several tabs on the window. You must check items under Services and Startup tabs and determine what is/may be causing crash/restart. You can uncheck problematic item/items and be good to go.

If you not know what the items are doing, do not uncheck them otherwise you may render your computer inoperable.

Hope this helps.
September 26, 2010 4:11:29 PM

i agree, its not an issue with the bios, its an issue with the drivers or a newly installed hardware. So just run it in safe mode.

September 27, 2010 4:46:48 AM

manz214 said:
i agree, its not an issue with the bios, its an issue with the drivers or a newly installed hardware. So just run it in safe mode.


Here is a few things that might give you an idea of what the problem is.
If I format the HDD widows works fine at that point, but it take a long time to install Widows 7 HP. When done, windows works if the computer is than turned off and left off for more than 8 hours, it boots with this a screen that has two choices "boot repair recommended" or "boot normally".

if pick repair: goes into widows repair interface and tries to repair sometimes works, most does not (at this point 80 % of the time you can boot Windows)

if pick normally: the windows logo begins to form and freezes half way through, where 2 sec later it reboots back to express gate and back to two choices.

I beginning to think it might be drivers that effect this problem.

Yesterday, I formated the comp but it did not boot at all from SATA1 so i placed the HDD into ESATA1 and it booted the DVD w/o problem and I was able to format the computer and reinstall Windows 7 (64 bit). So now i left the computer off, will return home after work no it's been over 10 hours so I will see tonight.

So I think you guys might be right, I will see if the comp will boot properly tonight without any drivers on it and if so than I will follow your steps and see, thanks guys
September 28, 2010 4:09:38 AM

Update: Still getting the problem so it's not the drivers i guess. Back to square one, and i don't know what to do. I will try the steps tonight, if it starts in safemode.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2010 9:00:38 AM

When your computer runs well, either in safe mode or normal mode, give the following commands at a command prompt with admin rights:

CHKDSK /F /R ( note the blank spaces before the slashes )

and then

SFC /SCANNOW ( note the blank space before the slash )

and let us know if the problem is gone now.

This type of behavior may also be observed if the motherboard battery is dead. I would suggest replacement of the battery.
September 28, 2010 10:29:17 AM

suat said:
When your computer runs well, either in safe mode or normal mode, give the following commands at a command prompt with admin rights:

CHKDSK /F /R ( note the blank spaces before the slashes )

and then

SFC /SCANNOW ( note the blank space before the slash )

and let us know if the problem is gone now.

This type of behavior may also be observed if the motherboard battery is dead. I would suggest replacement of the battery.


Will do, thank you Sir!
September 28, 2010 10:57:40 AM

i think we can rule out the battery problem, since after being off for more than 10 hours my bios settings are still saved. If the battery would be dead the setting would reset every time, right? it's not the drivers cuz even after i put a fresh copy of windows and without installing any drivers the problem is till there. I'm thinking it might be one of the components but i have no idea which, in any case i will try both suggestions today, the only problem is that i have to wait 10 hours or so before i can come back and say "well that worked".
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2010 11:14:18 AM

CHKDSK refers to hard disk file system problems. If it returns zero errors, your hard disk can be considered good.

SFC refers to Windows system files problem. If it finishes without issues, you can rule out Windows system files corruption.

Then we come to RAM errors. This time you should download memtest86+ and create a bootable CD. You start your computer with ( boot to ) this CD and start testing your RAM for more than 8 hours. http://www.memtest.org/
September 28, 2010 12:58:35 PM

suat said:
CHKDSK refers to hard disk file system problems. If it returns zero errors, your hard disk can be considered good.

SFC refers to Windows system files problem. If it finishes without issues, you can rule out Windows system files corruption.

Then we come to RAM errors. This time you should download memtest86+ and create a bootable CD. You start your computer with ( boot to ) this CD and start testing your RAM for more than 8 hours. http://www.memtest.org/


Most of the things i did, if you read my first entry, i explain that i did burn-in of HDD and it's fine did full burn of CPU VDG (50 cycles) and fine, did memtest86 10 cycles and its fine, did drweb live cd and its fine. I will check the widows check for corrupt and come back
September 28, 2010 3:12:16 PM



Update: both chkdsk and sfc came back clean, any other thoughts
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 6:33:14 AM

Run your computer in Safe Mode long enough in order to be sure your computer is healthy hardware-wise.

Then re-read all the posts above and re-think and re-do everything. I am sure you missed something.
September 29, 2010 6:47:28 AM

left memtest89 on for like 5 hours came back with no errors, I dunno what else it can be.
RAM is good, VDG is most likely good (ran a stress test 50 cycles, came back with no error), CPU came back with no error after stress test. And the HDD came back fine after chkdsk and widows had nothing on it that was corrupt. So that leaves mobo and PSU. Let me know if you have any suggestions
September 29, 2010 6:52:09 AM

suat said:
Run your computer in Safe Mode long enough in order to be sure your computer is healthy hardware-wise.

Then re-read all the posts above and re-think and re-do everything. I am sure you missed something.


run it long enough in safe mode?? im confused. i think its the mobo or sata connection problem. faulty hardware or compatibility issue.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 9:58:50 AM

If you run your computer in Safe Mode long enough, that means your computer is good hardware-wise because Windows loads minimum number of drivers and services in Safe Mode and restricts loading most of the third-party drivers and applications that may likely cause crash.

Download Autorun from Microsoft ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96390... ) and run autoruns.exe in Normal Mode under Admin Account. Hide Microsoft and Windows entries under Options tab and refresh the Window. This will hide Microsoft and Windows services and processes, leaving the third-party applications.

The program has many tabs, such as logon, etc. You can examine each tab and see what is starting at what phase of Windows loading.

You have to examine these applications and uncheck the ones that look suspicious to you one by one ? If an application does not run after you uncheck something, you can always check it back in autoruns without any side effect.
September 29, 2010 10:14:50 AM

suat said:
If you run your computer in Safe Mode long enough, that means your computer is good hardware-wise because Windows loads minimum number of drivers and services in Safe Mode and restricts loading most of the third-party drivers and applications that may likely cause crash.

Download Autorun from Microsoft ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96390... ) and run autoruns.exe in Normal Mode under Admin Account. Hide Microsoft and Windows entries under Options tab and refresh the Window. This will hide Microsoft and Windows services and processes, leaving the third-party applications.

The program has many tabs, such as logon, etc. You can examine each tab and see what is starting at what phase of Windows loading.

You have to examine these applications and uncheck the ones that look suspicious to you one by one ? If an application does not run after you uncheck something, you can always check it back in autoruns without any side effect.


Mind you the i have not put any drivers or programs on the computer, windos in not even activated with just the recycling bin and i still get the problem
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 10:32:41 AM

You re-installed Windows. I should have missed that.

If you suspect PSU and motherboard, I suggest you start with PSU. That is easier to replace.
September 29, 2010 10:49:24 AM

i need a good software that can test the mobo and SATA, is there such a thing?
September 29, 2010 11:21:51 AM

Check and see if your SATA is set to AHCI or IDE in the BIOS. It should be IDE or natice...

Had same problem, and fixed it by doing the above
September 29, 2010 11:37:39 AM

Well it was set on IDE originally but the problem was still happening, switched to AHCI and still had the problem. I will play around with it today, but i don't think thats the case
September 29, 2010 11:40:59 AM

ok, cool try leaving it on IDE and not switching it to ACHI again.

but something is definitely spooky going on that system... ill do some research and post if i find something.

Oh yes if you manage to boot up in safe mode after the crashes check in event viewer for any leads on what the problem might be...

good luck...
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 11:59:40 AM

The point at which the issue is happening is when the video card driver is loading or just starting to load.

Therefore, I would suggest checking the video card power cable, the one with the 6-pin PCIe connector.
September 29, 2010 12:11:34 PM

if i get the screen where i have to choose boot normally or correct error screen i know that it won't boot normally and safe mode also wont start. It will just keep rebooting. If i choose run fix error, it will not to resolve the issue but it might be able to boot up now. If i still cant boot up, i have to change SATA port for the HDD to another SATA or ESATA and than hopefully i can finally boot.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 12:27:44 PM

Previously you could run your computer in Safe Mode, but now you can't run it at all. Your problem is getting worse. Did you check video card power cable ?
September 29, 2010 12:29:45 PM

suat said:
The point at which the issue is happening is when the video card driver is loading or just starting to load.

Therefore, I would suggest checking the video card power cable, the one with the 6-pin PCIe connector.


The VGA requires 2 x 6 pin connectors. and the comp reboots at the point where it loads windows logo. This time time after last format and install the windows logo forms all the way through and than reboots. Mind you no VGA drivers are installed whats so ever!
September 29, 2010 12:30:58 PM

suat said:
Previously you could run your computer in Safe Mode, but now you can't run it at all. Your problem is getting worse. Did you check video card power cable ?


If i boot up my comp this means it will boot up properly every time and safe mode can be accessed. If the copute ris off for a long time i get the problem and CAN NOT boot properly and cant load safe mode
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 12:59:54 PM

Did you test your computer with DDR3-1333 MHz RAM speed ? You can set it at Ai Tweaker Menu in BIOS. You can also increase RAM timings manually, i.e. CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay and RAS precharge by 1, let's say, from 8 to 9.

I am sorry I can't think of anything else. When your computer cools down to room temperature and capacitors discharge almost completely, some component(s) start(s) misbehaving. Maybe a short develops due to contraction of metal parts upon cooling.
September 29, 2010 4:26:00 PM

ran events viewer, even after i got it to start this it the two errors displayed.
1. Warning, Event 4105, Winlogon, Windows is in Notification period.
2. Event 7026, Service Contorl Manager, The following boot-start or systme-start driver(s) failed to load: cdrom
!