Solved

Power supply needs

hi all! i'm building a gaming pc soon and wanted to know how much wattage i need for mild to moderate overclocking. i'm going with a slightly overclocked xfx 7870 ghz edition, intel core-i5 3570k, z77 motherboard and will be running an cooler master hyper 212+ cpu cooler. is 550w enough for my needs, or should i only get 600 and above? any input helps!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply needs
  1. Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation: Radeon HD 7870 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum and 700 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7850_and_7870_review,7.html
  2. thats the supply i use, got it when it first dropped @ $99, very happy with it.
  3. i'm looking at this:
    Ultra Limited Edition 600W Power Supply, is ultra a decent brand? it's not 80+ rated but it does have a lifetime warrenty, after promo code and rebate it's $14.99 on tigerdirect.com worth it?
  4. i would say that power supply is absolute garbage.
  5. stick with a decent name brand unit, power supplies arent a place to skimp on.
  6. daswilhelm said:
    i would say that power supply is absolute garbage.
    +1 i agree
  7. daswilhelm said:
    i would say that power supply is absolute garbage.

is it just the brand that sucks? why so bad?
  8. It's not a reliable power supply is why we are trying to sway you from buying it
  9. well, ive never heard of it, maybe its a tiger direct house brand, i dont order from them. and i would never trust a power supply $15 power supply. it will most likely blow out, and take some system parts with it.

the antec unit mentioned earlier is a great deal and will last you through future builds.
  10. daswilhelm said:
    well, ive never heard of it, maybe its a tiger direct house brand, i dont order from them. and i would never trust a power supply $15 power supply. it will most likely blow out, and take some system parts with it.

the antec unit mentioned earlier is a great deal and will last you through future builds.

ok that's kinda what i figured but hey, wishful thinking right! i'm still tempted on the rosewill 630w earthwatts...........
  11. Best answer
    look here Tier 5 - NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050
  12. rosewill is another brand id stay away from. get something from antec, corsair, seasonic....
  13. bigcyco1 said:
    look here Tier 5 - NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050

wow that was super helpful, i'm doing some research based on it. thanks!
  14. misfitkid86 said:
    wow that was super helpful, i'm doing some research based on it. thanks!
    Your welcome
  15. Best answer selected by misfitkid86.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Power Supplies Overclocking Product