Sign in with
Your question

New everything but hard drive. Can I reuse?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Optical Media
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2012 10:27:19 PM

Hello. I just made my first major upgrade to the point where it was a new computer. The only thing I did not purchase was a HDD, PSU (I have a good PSU) and Optical Drive.

I was wondering if it was possible for me to reuse my hard drive without too much hassle. Would I have driver trouble if I did so? Or should I just wipe my harddrive clean after backing up to an external hard drive? (I have a 1 TB one).

Also I don't think my current optical drive would work for this new motherboard, but if I can install windows 7 with a flash drive it shouldn't be an issue.

But the best case scenario would be to just reuse the hard drive and swap out the drivers without having the hassle of dealing with a reinstallation of Windows.

Can I go about doing that? Or would all the changes just screw everything up and I'd never be able to even install the drivers?

Sorry if my question is confusing. Thanks.

More about : hard drive reuse

a b G Storage
February 19, 2012 10:44:39 PM

It is better to do a clean installation of Windows than reuse a installation from another computer. Windows 7 is actually very good at coping with being transplanted into another computer provided the hardware is not to different, certainly a lot better than XP in this regard.
SATA CD/DVD R/W drives are very cheap nowadays and you will need one to install other software, so I recommend that you buy one and do a clean install of Windows.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 19, 2012 10:53:43 PM

I'd say do a clean Win install. You can always get the drivers online after the installation. Win 7 is pretty good at finding drivers on its own.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2012 11:13:20 PM

Another option for doing a clean install is use another computer to create a bootable USB from a windows install disc. It really cuts down on install time.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 19, 2012 11:14:46 PM

when moving to a new mobo always do a clean install. They make adapters to make your ODD work on a newer board, and SATA ODDs are only $20
m
l
a b G Storage
February 19, 2012 11:18:51 PM

The winner is... do a clean install - everything will work much better than trying to get the old OS to work with the new hardware. You will start with a lean new registry and nothing works better than a clean install.
-Bruce
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:56:50 PM

Use the old drive but delete, choose format and choose to install it (next) should be Fine
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:58:18 PM

Oh yeah if its all SATA connected then you should be fine
m
l
February 20, 2012 12:03:38 AM

Delete all drivers from your previous install before removing the HD from your PC. Reinstall the HD in new PC and allow it to find all new components, then load new drivers when required. If this doesn't work then a clean install is needed. If the OS is not OEM this will work.
m
l
February 20, 2012 12:54:19 AM

Alright, I'm getting mixed answers but it sounds like starting clean will be the least hassle.

Just worried about windows now but I'm sure it'll work out. Guess I'll go buy a new DVD Drive.

or boot from USB if that's apparently fast.

Normally I'd have bought a new hard drive (mine is only 250 GB) but they're so flippin expensive nowadays...
m
l
February 20, 2012 5:39:46 PM

Go ahead and get a SSD at newegg $120-130 for a 120GB your computer will be so much faster
m
l
February 20, 2012 5:42:05 PM

I would but I don't have the money.

How does this plan sound guys.

I'll put in my hard drive into the new rig and see how it runs.

If things start going bonkers I'll just use my windows disk to reformat and start fresh.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 21, 2012 8:28:33 PM

Thorn14 said:
I would but I don't have the money.

How does this plan sound guys.

I'll put in my hard drive into the new rig and see how it runs.

If things start going bonkers I'll just use my windows disk to reformat and start fresh.

Always worth a try. What do you have to lose?
m
l
!