Sign in with
Your question

PS3 external HDD issue

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2012 10:32:27 PM

I recently purchased a 3TB Seagate Expansion hdd and formatted it to FAT32 using Easeus Partition Master. I moved over a few .m2ts tv shows I had on an older Western Digital hdd that worked fine on the ps3. The ps3 recognized the Seagate and the files just fine, I hit the triangle button and selected Display All, then hit X to play the file; the screen went black for a split second as if it was going to play and then kicked me back to the ps3 dash. It just refuses to play. Multiple files that play fine on the WD hdd won't play off of the Seagate.

I'm scratching my head wondering what's up...I changed the partition back and forth from primary to logical thinking that might have something to do with it but no luck. Completely reformatted it twice and made the FAT32 partition smaller, still no change. Did a little research but couldn't find anyone else with the same problem, most people just have a problem getting the ps3 to recognize the drive because its not formatted properly.

Any suggestions, besides going all Office Space on it?

More about : ps3 external hdd issue

February 20, 2012 5:04:49 AM

Off hand I'd say 3tb is too big I believe 2tb is max read the manual for the ps3 to verify this
m
l
February 27, 2012 8:30:30 PM

There may be a limit on HDD size for an internal but I don't think so for an external. I finally got it to work and the files play fine now.

I downloaded Seagate Disc Wizard and noticed there was a hidden partition that I couldn't modify so I completely wiped the entire drive, took about a day. Then I used Easeus Partition Manager to format the entire drive as FAT32.

I guess the ps3 was having issues reading that hidden partition and the primary partition at the same time. I could be wrong but at least it works now.
m
l
July 23, 2012 9:50:11 PM

ktm25

How do you put your files on the HDD so that ps3 recognizes them?
Did you create three folder labeled:
VIDEO
PICTURES
MUSIC

Thanks
jjblack
m
l
!