Unlocking harddrive--------

complearning123

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi everyone, once again I have something that i have spent hours on trying to resolve. I have a Western Digital 80 G harddrive that somehow or another became locked. It has reallocated sectors on it and I wanted to see if I could fix it but I cannot get into it. It's blank. I have tried several techniques, all to no avail. :( It is a wd800bb. I found a software that apparently works and it advertised as freeware but it wasnt free ware. It was called hdd unlocker. I tried Partition TAble doctor as it said it had an unlocking capability but if it does , I couldnt find it. It seems fantastic to me that there is only one unlocking program out there. I have gone into bios and changed the master passwords, etc. but this is an ata password and i dont know how to change it or delete it or whatever. It is very confusing. CAn someone please give some guidance to a newbie...thank you . :)

Solution
I've found that most of the HDD recovery software isn't free, or it has very limited functions without purchase. But, I used TestDisk to recover my raid a couple of weeks ago - it is free and it worked. Give it a try.

complearning123

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I too have found the same thing treefrog. It is a shame. The hdd unlocker was misrepresented as freeware only to demand a key to unlock it. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Stephen