VAIO S1

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the specs
shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit, the keyboard
felt as though it could do with some more support as the whole thing felt
spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual keyboard itself. If any
of the middle keys were pressed, then the keyboard would sink in - like some
older Dell Inspirons. I tried other examples and it was the same. I tried
other Vaio's and notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like
so, but sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but
don't think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a solution to
the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't interested. As a point of
interest, on my last Inspiron, after talking to Dell they rectified the
problem.

And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's aftersales
service is like.

TIA

Saint
8 answers Last reply
More about vaio

    Saint wrote:
    > I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the
    > specs shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit,
    > the keyboard felt as though it could do with some more support as the
    > whole thing felt spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual
    > keyboard itself. If any of the middle keys were pressed, then the
    > keyboard would sink in - like some older Dell Inspirons. I tried
    > other examples and it was the same. I tried other Vaio's and
    > notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like so, but
    > sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but don't
    > think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
    > anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a
    > solution to the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't
    > interested. As a point of interest, on my last Inspiron, after
    > talking to Dell they rectified the problem.
    >
    > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    > aftersales service is like.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Saint

    No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times that
    would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse service
    on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up their
    act.

    > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    aftersales
    > service is like.

    A little better than non-existent.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I say look elsewhere for a laptop stay well clear of sony
    > Saint wrote:
    > > I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the
    > > specs shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit,
    > > the keyboard felt as though it could do with some more support as the
    > > whole thing felt spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual
    > > keyboard itself. If any of the middle keys were pressed, then the
    > > keyboard would sink in - like some older Dell Inspirons. I tried
    > > other examples and it was the same. I tried other Vaio's and
    > > notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like so, but
    > > sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but don't
    > > think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
    > > anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a
    > > solution to the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't
    > > interested. As a point of interest, on my last Inspiron, after
    > > talking to Dell they rectified the problem.
    > >
    > > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    > > aftersales service is like.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Saint
    >
    > No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    > updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    > with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    > mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times that
    > would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse service
    > on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up their
    > act.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    >>>And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    >>>aftersales service is like.

    See www.pcmag.com and www.pcworld.com user reliability surveys for
    2003 and 2004.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Actually not true, on the very rare occasion we have had to deal with Sony
    Support we've had no problems...one customer had an issue with his DVD,
    which was replaced quickly and then Sony shipped it out to Greece as the
    customer had to leave to work there.

    I'd say that's pretty good service ;-)

    Plus, buy your VAIO from RCT and our new Support Site (due Sept) and current
    excellent CS will help you through any problems.

    For the keyboard, not noticed what you mentioned (as I have the S1XP
    myself), cracking machine, very fast and excellent specs for the weight &
    price.

    If you wish, I have a PC Pro review to hand which I can send, speaks very
    highly of it and doesn't mention anything to do with the keyboard problem,
    rather that the typing experience is just as good as a normal keyboard.

    Thanks

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    > Saint wrote:
    > > I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the
    > > specs shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit,
    > > the keyboard felt as though it could do with some more support as the
    > > whole thing felt spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual
    > > keyboard itself. If any of the middle keys were pressed, then the
    > > keyboard would sink in - like some older Dell Inspirons. I tried
    > > other examples and it was the same. I tried other Vaio's and
    > > notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like so, but
    > > sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but don't
    > > think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
    > > anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a
    > > solution to the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't
    > > interested. As a point of interest, on my last Inspiron, after
    > > talking to Dell they rectified the problem.
    > >
    > > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    > > aftersales service is like.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Saint
    >
    > No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    > updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    > with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    > mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times that
    > would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse service
    > on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up their
    > act.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Hi Euan,

    I read the PC Pro report too and whilst it didn't report anything untoward
    against the keyboard, it was my opinion of the keyboard chasis support which
    felt rather soft around the 'R' to 'K' range of keys. I compared it to
    other Sony machines on display and all of the others hadn't the same
    problem. I went to a couple more shops with the S1 and found the same
    result concluding that it's a design trait particular to the S1. That said,
    it's still a very attractive package all in all. Incidentally, I'm pretty
    sure Sony aren't into DVD RAM are they; inspite of what the report stated
    that it featured DVD RAM.

    Cheers!
    Saint

    "RCT" <rct@red-cloud.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Actually not true, on the very rare occasion we have had to deal with Sony
    > Support we've had no problems...one customer had an issue with his DVD,
    > which was replaced quickly and then Sony shipped it out to Greece as the
    > customer had to leave to work there.
    >
    > I'd say that's pretty good service ;-)
    >
    > Plus, buy your VAIO from RCT and our new Support Site (due Sept) and
    current
    > excellent CS will help you through any problems.
    >
    > For the keyboard, not noticed what you mentioned (as I have the S1XP
    > myself), cracking machine, very fast and excellent specs for the weight &
    > price.
    >
    > If you wish, I have a PC Pro review to hand which I can send, speaks very
    > highly of it and doesn't mention anything to do with the keyboard problem,
    > rather that the typing experience is just as good as a normal keyboard.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Euan.
    > RCT
    >
    > W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    > > Saint wrote:
    > > > I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the
    > > > specs shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit,
    > > > the keyboard felt as though it could do with some more support as the
    > > > whole thing felt spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual
    > > > keyboard itself. If any of the middle keys were pressed, then the
    > > > keyboard would sink in - like some older Dell Inspirons. I tried
    > > > other examples and it was the same. I tried other Vaio's and
    > > > notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like so, but
    > > > sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but don't
    > > > think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
    > > > anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a
    > > > solution to the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't
    > > > interested. As a point of interest, on my last Inspiron, after
    > > > talking to Dell they rectified the problem.
    > > >
    > > > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    > > > aftersales service is like.
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Saint
    > >
    > > No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    > > updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    > > with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    > > mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times that
    > > would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse service
    > > on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up their
    > > act.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    As far as I remember, DVD RAM is entirely separate from DVD "+" or "-" as it
    has to be put in a caddy...maybe that changed?

    Sony don't mention anything apart from "-" in the specs, but maybe the PC
    Pro guy knows something we don't ;-)

    All really up to your choice, if you wouldn't be happy then you shouldn't
    buy...but then again you may just get used to it...we haven't had any
    complaints regarding this issue to date...and I'm typing on mine at the
    moment :-D

    HTH

    Euan.
    RCT

    W - www.red-cloud.co.uk

    "Saint" <true.saint@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Euan,
    >
    > I read the PC Pro report too and whilst it didn't report anything untoward
    > against the keyboard, it was my opinion of the keyboard chasis support
    which
    > felt rather soft around the 'R' to 'K' range of keys. I compared it to
    > other Sony machines on display and all of the others hadn't the same
    > problem. I went to a couple more shops with the S1 and found the same
    > result concluding that it's a design trait particular to the S1. That
    said,
    > it's still a very attractive package all in all. Incidentally, I'm pretty
    > sure Sony aren't into DVD RAM are they; inspite of what the report stated
    > that it featured DVD RAM.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Saint
    >

    > "RCT" <rct@red-cloud.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Actually not true, on the very rare occasion we have had to deal with
    Sony
    > > Support we've had no problems...one customer had an issue with his DVD,
    > > which was replaced quickly and then Sony shipped it out to Greece as the
    > > customer had to leave to work there.
    > >
    > > I'd say that's pretty good service ;-)
    > >
    > > Plus, buy your VAIO from RCT and our new Support Site (due Sept) and
    > current
    > > excellent CS will help you through any problems.
    > >
    > > For the keyboard, not noticed what you mentioned (as I have the S1XP
    > > myself), cracking machine, very fast and excellent specs for the weight
    &
    > > price.
    > >
    > > If you wish, I have a PC Pro review to hand which I can send, speaks
    very
    > > highly of it and doesn't mention anything to do with the keyboard
    problem,
    > > rather that the typing experience is just as good as a normal keyboard.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Euan.
    > > RCT
    > >
    > > W - www.red-cloud.co.uk
    > >

    > > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    > > > No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    > > > updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    > > > with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    > > > mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times
    that
    > > > would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse
    service
    > > > on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up
    their
    > > > act.

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I seriously doubt it can be worse than Samsung (apart from Gateway2000 - and
    look where they ended up!).

    "The Question Asker" <the_knowledgeable_1@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I say look elsewhere for a laptop stay well clear of sony
    > > Saint wrote:
    > > > I have been looking for a new notebook and the was impressed by the
    > > > specs shown for the S1XP. However, on closer inspection of the unit,
    > > > the keyboard felt as though it could do with some more support as the
    > > > whole thing felt spongy - not the keys, they felt ok but the actual
    > > > keyboard itself. If any of the middle keys were pressed, then the
    > > > keyboard would sink in - like some older Dell Inspirons. I tried
    > > > other examples and it was the same. I tried other Vaio's and
    > > > notebooks from other manufactureres and found them not like so, but
    > > > sturdy. I am still interested by what the S1 has to offer, but don't
    > > > think I could live with the keyboard in it's present state. Does
    > > > anyone know if Sony has recognised this and if there will be a
    > > > solution to the matter. The sales people I talked to weren't
    > > > interested. As a point of interest, on my last Inspiron, after
    > > > talking to Dell they rectified the problem.
    > > >
    > > > And can anyone offer an insight as to what the quality of Sony's
    > > > aftersales service is like.
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Saint
    > >
    > > No after sales service. zip. zed. zero. Well, except for driver
    > > updates. Sony has never recognized nor recalled any of their laptops
    > > with known serious manufacturing errors that lead to short laptop
    > > mainboard life. Most who have had repairs report turnaround times that
    > > would embarass any other vendor, and they are reported to refuse service
    > > on the grounds of abuse quite frequently. Sony needs to clean up their
    > > act.

Laptops Product