Sign in with
Your question

What DDR ram goes with a p4?

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2010 7:30:51 PM

I have an intel pentium 4 2.80 ghz CPU and windows xp 32 bit. I was wondering what is the DDR ram that goes with it? Can I throw ddr3 in there or what should I get? Thanks

More about : ddr ram

April 21, 2010 7:47:04 PM

Your computer is most likely using the original DDR and it isn't impossible it is using Rambus. I am fuzzy on this because it has been a while but I think it is like PC2700 DDR for those old P4 boards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2010 8:18:52 PM

What the motherboard?

if you can give this info, we will be able to tell you what you can use.

as for the ddr3 ram, you cant use it. DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 are all different ram with slightly different dimm slots.
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 11:22:03 PM

Well there were different P4 with different sockets. If you can open your computer and see the label on the memories then you'll know it. Other option is to use CPU-Z as it reveals all hardware information, CPU, DDR, Graphics.
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
April 22, 2010 1:26:42 AM

Some used Rambus where you might as well buy a new system rather than upgrade the ram, you'll save money. Yeah, rambus is rediculasly priced.

Some used DDR but you'll need to look up the max supported ram as some boards only supported up to 512Mb as my brother found out. LoL

And some newer boards supported DDR2. Again you'll need to look up the max supported amount of memory for your motherbd.

As mentioned DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 are all different socket types and you cannot interchange them.
m
l
April 25, 2010 3:58:57 AM

As syl2r mentioned, CPU-Z tells you which kind of RAM do you have.. I suppose that you have DDR-333 or DDR-400.

If you are lucky, and your mobo isn't soo old - like popatim said - , it could be DDR2, too, which is much more cheaper - and faster - as the oold DDR.
m
l
May 6, 2010 6:40:05 PM

I did a cpu-z and I found out i am running off the SDRAM. So this is the best answer!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 6:53:05 PM

boujhi said:
I did a cpu-z and I found out i am running off the SDRAM. So this is the best answer!

A P4 2.8 with SDRAM? I saw that once or twice. SD was fairly rare by the time 2.8's were common.

Find your boards spec and look up what it supports. On that platform, the memory controller is on the board.
m
l
!