Sign in with
Your question

Convert Dynamic to Basic when Windows was installed first on SSD

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2012 11:28:59 PM

Stupid me converted a basic disk to dynamic with windows 7 installed in hopes to RAID0 (stripe) both drives, they are SSDs. Now I cannot convert the Dynamic disk, with windows installed, to Basic. I have gone to command prompt and, diskpart.exe, list disk, select disk, clear, bla bla bla.... Its driving me insane does anyone know how to convert a dynamic disk to basic disk when windows has been installed before the conversion. Thank You for any takers.
February 20, 2012 1:38:28 AM

Not sure that my atempted helpers understands what the sittuation is. I installed windows, I had a nother HDDR (SSD) that I put in with the first one to run RAID 0 after installing windows converted them both to Dynamic Disk and realized that It would not allow me to to RAID them. So now I'm trying to Clear the 1st Disk but says "Windows Cannot Delete the System Volume on the Disk" also says clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crash dump or hibernation volume
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2012 1:42:39 AM

May be a call to the manufacture it is a new disk
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 317 G Storage
February 20, 2012 1:43:47 AM

Right, you cannot delete the system volume when you are running the OS from it whether it is a basic or dynamic disk. If you want to save the install, use the link I posted above and follow the directions. That will give you a basic disk with the system intact on the drive.

m
l
February 20, 2012 1:59:14 AM

I installed OS on the second drive and tryed to go in on the other SSD running Windows and It wont budge

Windows was installed before the disk was converted to Dynamic.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 317 G Storage
February 20, 2012 2:19:30 AM

So do you want to convert it to a basic disk as you said in the original post or just format it?

If convert follow my link above.

If format, then do a secure erase on the drive. If it is an Intel use the Intel SSD Toolbox, if it is not an Intel you can use something like Wipe Disk: http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/...

Just make absolutely sure that you erase the correct drive.
m
l
February 20, 2012 3:37:04 AM

not picking up the link, Yes I'd like to convert back to basic don't care about loosing data but the disk has windows installed on it and thats nogt alklowing the convert
m
l
February 20, 2012 3:44:01 AM

The Partition Wizard states "Dynamic Disk is not supported by MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition"
m
l
February 20, 2012 12:04:51 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: B-GAUSE-PC

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 111 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 1 Online 111 GB 0 B
Disk 2 Online 698 GB 0 B
Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 6 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 7 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

MKNSSDCR120GB ATA Device
Disk ID: A8D543E5
Type : ATA
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1100)#ATA(C00T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 New Volume NTFS Simple 111 GB Healthy
Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Simple 100 MB Healthy System

DISKPART> select volume 1

Volume 1 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> delete volume

Virtual Disk Service error:
Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile,
crashdump or hibernation volume.

DISKPART>
m
l
February 20, 2012 9:59:49 PM

RealBeast said:
Try converting back to a basic disk like this (option 4): http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dyna...

OK tried I tried that disk is Dynamic and it will not allow me to proceed to [next] unless I purchase the software where as I could buy two more of these drives for that so sorry umbre it's not working.
m
l
!