Sony vaio all in one pc power supply connector problems

Hello,

I have a Sony All in One desktop. About 2mths ago, the charger seemed to have packed up. Fortunately Sony announced a recall of that power adapter, so I managed to get another one for free. However, although the power adapter is working (I can see the green light on), as soon as I plug it into the computer, the green light instantaneously switches off and I cant switch on the computer and I am back to square one. Sony want over £500 ($700!!!) just to take a look.

Any ideas?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about sony vaio power supply connector problems
  1. welcome to the forums,

the problem you mentioned is caused from the adapter and maybe a faulty capacitor in it.

Do you have another desktop to try the replacemed adapter? that way you can eliminate YOUR desktop as the problem source.
  2. Sounds like an internal short on the desktop to me.
    I repair laptops regularly (new psu sockets on the pcb etc) and quite often when a psu cuts out when it is connected it is due to a short on the board.

I would suggest taking the machien and PSU to a local computer reair shop. Sony have a habit of over charging for their products and repairs. Also they willl not sell parts to other repair companies so if you do need a new part you will be looking at ebay or a second hand part.

Simple way around this, never buy any sony computer equipment. It's overpriced and poorly made compared to others.
  3. cheers for the advice Lutfij and Plasmastorm... I now have 3 adapters, 2 brand new that Sony sent me free :) and both work until I plug it into the computer. I have been told by a friend that its a very common fault with Sony, and there is a reasonable shop who could fix it not too far from me. I'll let you know what they say.
  4. Same this is going on with my Sony Vaio All-In-One and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that kind of money just to have a look. Why can't we get some kind of Class Action suit going?
  5. MaJeHi said:
    Same this is going on with my Sony Vaio All-In-One and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that kind of money just to have a look. Why can't we get some kind of Class Action suit going?

For anyone else finding this thread like I did, because my Vaio replacement adapter fritzed out- all you need is a universal AC Adapter with INput 100-240Volt- 1.5 A 50/60Hz, Output 19.5 Volts. Amazon.com has them for $10.00 & less. If you're a stickler for the brand name, Sony adapters are $29-49 on Amazon.com! WalMart & Best Buy carry a universal for $54-79 but they are called "Laptop Wall Charger" & they have the same power in&out and it works great on my Vaio. The one we got is a "GoGreen" which turns itself off if left on too long
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Sony Components Product