• Sony
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 21, 2010 8:00:27 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony All in One desktop. About 2mths ago, the charger seemed to have packed up. Fortunately Sony announced a recall of that power adapter, so I managed to get another one for free. However, although the power adapter is working (I can see the green light on), as soon as I plug it into the computer, the green light instantaneously switches off and I cant switch on the computer and I am back to square one. Sony want over £500 ($700!!!) just to take a look.

Any ideas?

Thanks

More about : sony vaio power supply connector problems

a b ) Power supply
April 21, 2010 10:51:07 PM

welcome to the forums,

the problem you mentioned is caused from the adapter and maybe a faulty capacitor in it.

Do you have another desktop to try the replacemed adapter? that way you can eliminate YOUR desktop as the problem source.

April 22, 2010 11:57:55 AM

Sounds like an internal short on the desktop to me.
I repair laptops regularly (new psu sockets on the pcb etc) and quite often when a psu cuts out when it is connected it is due to a short on the board.

I would suggest taking the machien and PSU to a local computer reair shop. Sony have a habit of over charging for their products and repairs. Also they willl not sell parts to other repair companies so if you do need a new part you will be looking at ebay or a second hand part.

Simple way around this, never buy any sony computer equipment. It's overpriced and poorly made compared to others.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2010 8:34:37 PM

cheers for the advice Lutfij and Plasmastorm... I now have 3 adapters, 2 brand new that Sony sent me free :)  and both work until I plug it into the computer. I have been told by a friend that its a very common fault with Sony, and there is a reasonable shop who could fix it not too far from me. I'll let you know what they say.
July 23, 2010 8:56:33 PM

Same this is going on with my Sony Vaio All-In-One and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that kind of money just to have a look. Why can't we get some kind of Class Action suit going?
September 29, 2011 5:30:19 PM

MaJeHi said:
Same this is going on with my Sony Vaio All-In-One and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that kind of money just to have a look. Why can't we get some kind of Class Action suit going?

For anyone else finding this thread like I did, because my Vaio replacement adapter fritzed out- all you need is a universal AC Adapter with INput 100-240Volt- 1.5 A 50/60Hz, Output 19.5 Volts. Amazon.com has them for $10.00 & less. If you're a stickler for the brand name, Sony adapters are $29-49 on Amazon.com! WalMart & Best Buy carry a universal for $54-79 but they are called "Laptop Wall Charger" & they have the same power in&out and it works great on my Vaio. The one we got is a "GoGreen" which turns itself off if left on too long
!