Sign in with
Your question

My Nvidia 9800 GT just hit 117 degrees Celsius...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2010 4:05:00 PM

Please help!

Specs:

Nvidia 9800GT

Core 2 Quad Q9300

6 GB RAM

Vista 64

I am using the Nvidia system monitor and for the last few days my videocard has been running super hot. In the middle of games the card will overheat and the monitor will loose its signal.

Yesterday I installed the Nvidia System Monitor to check my temperature and after cleaning out all of the dust from the inside of my computer here is what I get:

GPU:

Idle: 70 degrees Celsius.

After playing a game for 10 minutes the temperature jumps to 117 degrees Celsius!

I have the fans set to 100% in the Nvidia control panel/device settings subsection.

Also my CPUs run pretty hot too.

Right now in idle my CPUS read. 1 and 2 are 54 degrees and 3 and 4 are at 70.

What should I do? Do I need to add thermal paste? If so what is a good brand and how do I add it? I have never done it before. How do I set my CPU fan too?

Also my fans are all stock. My CPU and GPU both have fans. My PC is a year old pre-built Gateway.

Thank you very much!
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 5, 2010 4:25:03 PM

you should re-check your case air flow and clean the accumulated dust inside your case. bad air flow is one of the cause of component overheating inside the case. clean your CPU and GPU heatsink and then re-apply the thermal paste. about how to re-apply the thermal paste you can google about it. there are lots of tech website giving guide on how to do that and sometimes they even recommend what thermal paste to use. about the CPU fan speed you can control it using third party software like speedfan
m
l
February 7, 2010 4:08:39 PM

Well, Do what ^ suggested, and if that doesn't work, then it's a problem with the card you have. Either RMA it, or if warentys gone, get something more modern.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 7, 2010 4:51:06 PM

Check the fan, even if it worked it would have melted.
My 7300GT hit 120C when the fan broke.
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:46:30 PM

get a program like evga precision and turn the fan speed up.
m
l
a b C Monitor
February 7, 2010 9:13:23 PM

If the temp is true the fan would have MELTED.
Open up the case & see if the fan still spins.
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:19:59 AM

The fan still spinned. The card eventually crapped out though, so I ordered an HD5770 as a replacement.'

Thanks for all of the info though.
m
l
!