Your question

Experience with upgrading

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • NAS / RAID
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2010 8:04:14 PM

I learnt a lot doing my last upgrade, so I thought I would share my experience. My new system has M3A78-EM. I wanted 2 hard drives

like I had with my old system (one for programs and one for data), but I opted to configure the system in a RAID-1 (mirrored drives)

but still divide logically into C: and D:.

I haven't built an OS from scratch since Window 3.1 and I wasn't going to start how. I was prepared to an install/repair with Windows

XP, but it turns out it was not required. I had a number of false starts to copy my system to the new drive. I tried a number of free

tools to copy the entire old disk to the new system. I finally settled on the Western Digital free version of True Image by Acronis

and copied my system onto a single drive. When I went to RAID it, I lost all of the data. Finally I had to setup the new system with

the drives already in the raid configuration and then make an image of the source drive and restore it onto the RAID partition C. When

I went to do the restore True Image no longer recognized that I had a Western Digital drive in the system and would not run. Fortunately I had a Western Digital USB drive, plugged that in and away we went.

On first boot-up, no blue screens, so no repair/install required. After windows installed all of the new drivers, I then deleted all of the old drivers by starting up the device manager with the batch file:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Showed all hidden devices and deleted them. All is well now.

More about : experience upgrading

February 15, 2010 2:16:41 AM

RAID automatically removes all previous drive data, that's how RAID works, it writes the new info across multiple drives when you install the OS, and subsequent programs
m
l
February 22, 2010 3:03:07 AM

I was just going to use a RAID 1 configuration (mirror) so I thought I could load one drive and have it rebuild the second. Didn't work that way. I assume that will happen if I ever lose a drive.
m
l