Cleaning the CM Hyper212+ heatsink

If you are planning on switching to a different thermal compound and you need to completely get rid of the old thermal compound on the heat pipe base that is between the heat pipes and aluminum base.

You can use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner stocked at your local auto parts store, it will remove every trace of the old thermal compound.

Caution: Use it outside in the open air, it is flammable.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

a vacuum sucks dust in i'm talking about between the fins.

Yes the fins i'm trying to figure out how to clean between them

No i'm not going to do that.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

??

The vacuum sucks air in one direction.

Use the vacuum to suck the air in the opposite direction that caused the dust to build up.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

that's what I mean I know that.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Put the whole thing in the dishwasher. If your cooler stops working after that. Throw the whole thing in the fridge run the cord out the door. Keeps the computer real cool when OCing. LOL!

ORRR...get some compressed air and carefully blow on the radiator. Have a vacuum on, right next to the area that you are blowing the dust off of.
Unplug computer so you don't get shocked.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I'm only talking about cleaning the 212+ heatsink not the cooler as a whole just the heatsink.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Unless you have some sort of mutant ninja dust in the heat sink, compressed air and/or a vacuum will clean the heat sink.

Other, more drastic and complicated methods seem like work for the sake of work.

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Honestly, just washing it with soap and water, or just putting in the dishwasher is really easy and gets all the caked on dust and other stuff.

If it's still mounted inside the computer using a vacuum cleaner is a bad idea, it produces severe static buildup and should not be used inside a computer!

Canned air can get expensive and should only be used in lightly dusted situations for heavy dust build up it's a waste.

If you have an air compressor that's the best dust removal route even if it is running high air pressure, just keep your finger on the fan blade and don't allow it to spin fast, or you could damage the fan.

I have adopted a cleaning policy for every machine I work on, it goes first to the shop outside and I blow all the built up dust and crap out of the machine, before it's ever brought into my home, as you would be surprised at what I have found living inside some peoples nasty computers.

So to sum up:
Vacuum Cleaner should only be used on the outside of a computer case never inside.

Canned Air for lightly dusted situations.

Air Compressor for heavily dusted situations.

Good luck, and Best to you!
Ryan

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Ok thanks for the tips.